carbon wheelsets for XC/technicals

mthams
mthams Posts: 33
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
hello,

I am in the market for a set of carbon wheelsets for my 29er CF hardtail, i will mainly do XC and some technicals. I am a little blank where to start by research and i want to narrow down on a few great sets so i can look for a great price. I intend to run tubeless on Racing Ralphs Schwalbe tyres 2.25".

any help with suggestions how to go about and if anyone have some great experience/suggestions.

Many thx

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of good reviews from happy customers for LB https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-mou ... heels/29er
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Lots of good reviews from happy customers for LB https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-mou ... heels/29er

any suggestions in Europe and other?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mthams wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

budget? why do you want carbon?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carbon is a sh1t material for MTB wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Carbon on a HT?? Maybe for a super light XC race bike, too stiff otherwise
  • POAH wrote:
    mthams wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

budget? why do you want carbon?

I'm flexible on budget. Ideally prebuilt. Top end..

Why because faster I have been told and better cornering. All articles I read suggest carbon better if one can afford it....what am I missing?
  • cooldad wrote:

Why is that? What wheels would you recommend? Looking for recommendations...!
  • mthams wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Why is that? What wheels would you recommend? Looking for recommendations...!

We'll made carbon wheels are very good. Enve are great but very expensive. I tried a set on a downhill bike, cornering and acceleration were noticeably better compared to the same bike on Mavic Deemax aluminium rims.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mthams wrote:

Why because faster I have been told and better cornering. All articles I read suggest carbon better if one can afford it....what am I missing?

DT swiss XRC 1200 SPLINE for your gullibility then lol
  • The Rookie
    Not faster as such, less inertia means faster acceleration and braking (irrelevant really) and faster responce in cornering.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Not faster as such, less inertia means faster acceleration and braking (irrelevant really) and faster responce in cornering.

Understood . carbon less flex more direct steering and can push harder. Lighter = faster acceleration and climb better.

Been to my local bike shop and the mechanics swears by carbon on 29ers as alu too soft. I was looking at Crossmax Pro and DT Swiss XR 1501 both alus and both similar weight to carbon equivalent but might not work well on more technical trails.
  • The Rookie
    A carbon rimmed 29er wheelset for XC use should be below 1500g!

Alloy isn't too 'soft' it's not as 'stiff' (subtley different attributes).