Tour of Britain today

13»

Comments

• Pross wrote:
    I haven't been down there for a while and never cycled it but I thought were were old tracks across the road outside the steelworks. Thinking about it the tracks may have been removed and there's just some ruts. Whatever, it's a horrible road to use if they want to show off the city!

There were.
    The horrible road sums up this edition.
    Had the race been vaguely interesting I would have made the effort to get out to Usk.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Drove through there last week and some of the tracks have gone but there are still some others left. There was still the usual crap at the side of the road and in the gutters, and of course the horses.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Have to say it's a sad state of affairs when even the BR forum can't get it up for the ToB.
    Past years have have some excellent stages

In previous years the Vuelta hasn't really fired, whereas this year it really went off. I think that's had an impact on the attention paid to the ToB.

I understand the idea of trying to attract the sprinters (and unlike most, I don't mind the odd boring stage that ends in a mass sprint, because the boring hours are the price you pay for some of the most thrilling moments in cycling) but I think it's fair to say that it hasn't really produced a decent race this year.
  • If the race parcour isn't bad enough, today they face a raging headwind for pretty much all of the stage.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    That finishing circuit on a rainy day isn't really going to get the tourists in, is it?

Question for you Welshies: I've been there a few times and, apart from central location of the stadium and excellent good humoured vibe on a 6 nations match day, haven't really been very impressed. Just came across as an anonymous shopping centre. Am I missing something? (not done the waterfront)
  • Mad_Malx
    Eddie giving a good effort
  • Mad_Malx
    That was actually quite a good finish
  • bloody well-deserved, Edvald
  • salsiccia1
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    That finishing circuit on a rainy day isn't really going to get the tourists in, is it?

Question for you Welshies: I've been there a few times and, apart from central location of the stadium and excellent good humoured vibe on a 6 nations match day, haven't really been very impressed. Just came across as an anonymous shopping centre. Am I missing something? (not done the waterfront)

Depends what you want. There's usually a fair amount going on, the museum and Castle are good and the Bay is nice. But it's a handsome place in parts rather than beautiful. I've always maintained that Cardiff is probably a better place to live in than visit as it's got everything you'd want with some beautiful scenery in easy reach.
  • salsiccia1
    Good effort that in manky conditions
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    whats the thoughts on that whole bunch getting "same time" at the end there :?

havent been to Cardiff for nearly 10 years, tbf it didnt look like much had changed :) but yeah it always feels like the gateway to other places to go round there, not the place in itself necessarily,
  • Mad_Malx wrote:

I think we missed several tricks: not so much the city centre circuit, but a just outside the city centre circuit.
    Westgate Street and the Stadium have been done to death.
    To me it wasn't technical enough.
    I would have sent them through Morgan's Arcade

morgan-arcade-3.jpg

and onto the Hayes.

The-Hayes-Conference.jpg

That would have been spectacular with the shops still open. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Erm.

A day late, but.

GROENEWEGEN WOOP WOOP
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I think we missed several tricks: not so much the city centre circuit, but a just outside the city centre circuit.
    Westgate Street and the Stadium have been done to death.
    To me it wasn't technical enough.
    I would have sent them through Morgan's Arcade

morgan-arcade-3.jpg

and onto the Hayes.

The-Hayes-Conference.jpg

That would have been spectacular with the shops still open. :lol:
    With the feed zone in Caroline Street, of course

cardiff-top-destination-04.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    With the feed zone in Caroline Street, of course
    cardiff-top-destination-04.jpg

Cardiff's very own Allez Cipo?
    Absolutely.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:

Cardiff is to Wales is what London is to England, gets all the money and none left for the north.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,924
    Well let's pray that the organizers realize what a dreadful parcours they put together this year, and do something about it next year. This has to have been the worst stage race of the year.
  • TOB finishes in Caerphilly were always good, Caerphilly mountain was used twice on year and Cav looked wrecked. Massive crowds on there too. It's possible to create a good course around Cardiff but it's not the city centre (surprised there weren't more offs yesterday)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kpfnD0TAhvDliZPh1
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • What's Cardiff like for students? My eldest is applying to university and she is set on a biggish city?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • From one of the previous ones:

330554_10152151359510019_478022905_o.jpg?oh=aa712f45d7b4f205ed0aa1f5f3008390&oe=5A4D313E

466359_10152151366290019_1792536491_o.jpg?oh=62a33fd84b030909eb907df1be03f538&oe=5A48A277

460956_10152151367200019_128694134_o.jpg?oh=7b4cd02f1dbcab5009dd051d9efc4b42&oe=5A4DC1D5
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,599
    Caerphilly mountain was used twice on year and Cav looked wrecked.

Cav looked wrecked on British Camp yesterday!

Caerphilly is a good finish though, you can see them come through town and then be at the finish.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • salsiccia1
    What's Cardiff like for students? My eldest is applying to university and she is set on a biggish city?

It's got everything a student wants - lots of cheap-ish accommodation and loads of bars with student nights!

I've never been a student here but I gather it's a popular destination.
  • RichN95.
    What's Cardiff like for students? My eldest is applying to university and she is set on a biggish city?
    Very good I believe. They seem to be constantly building student accomodation. It's apparently one of the most affordable cities for students*. The buses are good, it's fairly cycling friendly. There's a definite centre to the city, with most things of interest in a small area. And there's always plenty of things happening . It has a high graduate retention rate (40%)

*Source: https://www.topuniversities.com/where-t ... k-students
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Couple of my friends went, loved it. This was a decade ago now though.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Couple of my friends went, loved it. This was a decade ago now though.
    Cardiff's only got better since
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,541
    Cardiff Uni is a good one with a proper city centre campus. Cardiff Met is a bit more spread around the outskirts but as a city Cardiff is very compact and so the bars and everything else are very accessible. The Student Union has always had decent bands and it's a 5 minute walk from there to the main streets. Cardiff Met has a very strong sports department as well.
  • Thanks all, she's into clubbing, bassline whatever that is but a year or two ago it was indie bands so who knows what she'll be into next year, personally I'd rather she went to a small university in some backwater but she seems set on a big city.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Apparently Manchester now has a student population of 100,000! In comparison accommodation in Cardiff will be both easier to find and cheaper no doubt.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Thanks all, she's into clubbing, bassline whatever that is

In which case, Sheffield would be a better shout, for that....