Orange P7 Frame - worth investing?

ashok2429
ashok2429 Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

So I need a little bit of advice. I've been given an old 2011 Orange Pure7 that's not in great shape. I haven't ridden for a few years but looking to get back into it. Mainly forest trails and blue/red runs is what I'm planning to ride. Now the question is do I pump some money into the Orange (1x11 XT groupset, front forks, dropper post and possibly new wheels budget around £600) or is it not worth sticking with it, flog the frame and either buy new or keep an eye out for something newer but second hand? Basically is the frame worth sticking a load of money into????

Thanks

Ash

Comments

• ashok2429 wrote:
    Hi,

So I need a little bit of advice. I've been given an old 2011 Orange Pure7 that's not in great shape. I haven't ridden for a few years but looking to get back into it. Mainly forest trails and blue/red runs is what I'm planning to ride. Now the question is do I pump some money into the Orange (1x11 XT groupset, front forks, dropper post and possibly new wheels budget around £600) or is it not worth sticking with it, flog the frame and either buy new or keep an eye out for something newer but second hand? Basically is the frame worth sticking a load of money into????

Thanks

Ash

Get yourself a new bike

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... _2017_Bike

100 quid more than your bike budget but the zero faff got to be worth it (-:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some good quality used parts and you could put together a darn good bike for that budget, I'd stick with 1x10 as it gives little away to 1x11 and can be done much cheaper leaving more budget for everything else, some Reba or Rev' forks and so on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Earlier there was thread discussing P7 steel frames and at one point the steel formulation (?) Reynolds number was changed and this reduced corrosion in the chain stays. Check these for rust. I'm pretty certain it was pre 2010 but not certain.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The later (2010 onwards) P7 was a really excellent frame. I'd keep it and put some nice new kit on it. There's some bargain 26" used wheels and tyres around if you look for them.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    mark_fogel wrote:
    ashok2429 wrote:
    Ash

Get yourself a new bike

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... _2017_Bike

100 quid more than your bike budget but the zero faff got to be worth it (-:

Zero faff yes and it is a 29 er but the wheels are 27.5 which may be fine but I personally would sooner be disembowelled than use that combo.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • It is worth spending money on if you like riding the bike. If you are the kind of guy that likes riding any bike then you should not have bought a bike that require work. As you have you must like it buy the bits you 10 speed is fine and enjoy it. nothing wrong with second hand but some parts are not worth buying second hand like forks unless they have been serviced or you factor that cost in. get 29er wheels as well. yes you have to spend but it is a nice frame.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • POAH wrote:
    no its not worth investing.

Why not? The P7 was an excellent bike. Hugely over priced when new but still a great trail bike
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    no its not worth investing.

Why not? The P7 was an excellent bike. Hugely over priced when new but still a great trail bike

no bike from 2011 is worth investing in
  • What makes the modern equivalent any better? The current equivalent will have bigger wheels but that's not better, just different.
    The P7 was a great ride when new and it's just as good now.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know a lot of guys who 'invest', or in reality, spend money, on much older bikes.

My 1996 Kona Explosif is a case in point.

I ride more modern stuff most of the time, but still have a lot of fun on it when I feel the urge.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many 26" hardtails will take 27.5, especially if you go 1x gearing, I've trialed a 27x2.25 in the back of my 2006 Carrera, 26" Fox forks will take 27.5 as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    What makes the modern equivalent any better? The current equivalent will have bigger wheels but that's not better, just different.
    The P7 was a great ride when new and it's just as good now.

nothing to do with wheel size