Experience of Brooks Saddles

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have been having saddle problems for around a year and I have been recommended by my physio to try out ISM and Cobb saddles.
I have quite wide sitbones around 150mm roughly and I think my problem is site bones rubbing on the side of the saddle rather than sitting on the saddle itself. Having had a look on the ISM and Cobb website all the saddles appear to be around the 130mm mark. Has anyone had any experience of these saddles?

I have started to have a look at Brooks saddles as the ones I have looked at have very good reviews and also are much wider so I would think they would benefit me. I have specifically been looking at the C17 saddle, has anyone got this one?

If anyone is in a similar position to me and has a saddle they swear by I would love to know.

Cheers

Comments

• I've got the C17 and really like it. It is wide and I'm keen to try some of the svelter C13s, but overall would happily recommend it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I returned to road cycling in middle age I struggled to get on with several modern / light / narrow saddles despite not having a particularly wide @rse. I recalled being all day comfy on a Brooks saddle in my teens and early 20s so I figured I'd try one. Treated myself to a B17 special. Lovely honey leather, copper plated rails and big, hand-beaten copper rivets. Looks a bit odd on a modern bike but it was armchair comfy out of the box and after 8 years it's just showing the faintest dimples from my sitbones.

Probably better for a more upright, touring type position, which is what I have on the winter /wet weather bike.

On my racier summer bike I've recently fitted a second hand Specialized Power saddle. It's short and wide, with a large cutout which seems very good at eliminating the perineal pressure I was getting after longer rides; it's first outing was a 60 mile charity ride and I just forgot all about it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I've got the C17 and really like it. It is wide and I'm keen to try some of the svelter C13s, but overall would happily recommend it.
    The C13 is very position fussy. It sits very different to my previous saddles and needed a lot of experimenting to get comfy, then it would break in a bit more, and need adjusting again, and so on. After a year I think it is finally settled down.
    Yes, it is comfy but it is not the fit and go the bumf would have you believe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    On my racier summer bike I've recently fitted a second hand Specialized Power saddle. It's short and wide, with a large cutout which seems very good at eliminating the perineal pressure I was getting after longer rides; it's first outing was a 60 mile charity ride and I just forgot all about it.

Had a B17 for about two years and it nearly put me off cycling for life, I know people rave about them but just didn't suit me.

I've been using Power saddles for over a year now since the two Toupes I was using broke (rails), and very pleased with them. They go up to 168mm width as well which may suit the OP.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I've got the C17 and really like it. It is wide and I'm keen to try some of the svelter C13s, but overall would happily recommend it.
    The C13 is very position fussy. It sits very different to my previous saddles and needed a lot of experimenting to get comfy, then it would break in a bit more, and need adjusting again, and so on. After a year I think it is finally settled down.
    Yes, it is comfy but it is not the fit and go the bumf would have you believe.

Oh that's a shame. Especially as it's vanity mainly that's making me think about switching to the C13. I like the comfort of the C17, but it's a big piece of kit and a bit heavy. I'm also no fan of the rivets. Which width 13 did you go for?
  • pblakeney
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Which width 13 did you go for?
    Good question, but I don't know.
    There was only the one model initially.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I had major sit bone pain - like 3 years off the bike !!!

The problem was my hamstring was tearing at the point it inserts into the pelvis. On a plastic saddle I could see an indentation where my sit bone were digging in - even though padded shorts.

I decided to go with cheapest Brooks saddle I could get the B17 imperial- it looks a bit daft on a carbon fibre road bike - and I though if it works I will switch to a more sporty brooks.
    Its been fantastic for me - I think it is because the leather 'gives' as a whole. I have since brought another one for my winter bike again great....I really should try the team pro, but having stumbled on something that works I am reluctant to change it.

Amazon seem a good place for the B17 - at times they are around £60. If you want a Brooks clone spa cycles do some leather saddles I have heard that these are made of a tougher leather than the brooks though but are a few £ cheaper.
    As with all things saddle\backside YMMV !
  • keef66
    I also have one of the Spa Chinese Blooks. It's an Aire, which closely resembles a Brooks Swallow, but was about a third of the price. Very thick leather and seemingly pretty well made, so I imagine the others in the range are worth considering.
    It's a narrow racing saddle; comfortable for shorter rides, but was causing the aforementioned perineal pressure if I was on it for too long. I'm keeping it in case I get round to building up a pub / shop bike at some point.
  • I have been using a Brooks Team Pro for about 20 years on a touring bike and more recently on my winter bike. It is quite wide and have to say it is supremely comfortable. Only problem has been a replacement tension bolt this year.
  • Many thanks for the replies. I am definitely toying with the idea of either getting a Brooks C17 or C15 saddle. However, after the mention of a Specialized Power saddle that also has to be put in the mix.

I ride quite a racy road bike but I am wanting to do long miles (upto century rides when my fitness allows) so are the new Brooks cambium saddles as flexible and giving as their original leather saddles? It seems to suggest that the C15 is more suited to a road bike whereas C17 is for touring, however I am attracted to the C17 due to the width, it looks like the C15 isnt as wide?
  • keef66
    Where in the world are you? If you're anywhere in East Anglia I'd be happy to lend you my Power for a weekend. It's the wider 155 model which may be a bit too wide for me but I did get it cheap

(I did recently ask Specialized if they did test saddles but they said no, offering instead to measure my rear end on their sit-o-meter)
  • keef66 wrote:
    Where in the world are you? If you're anywhere in East Anglia I'd be happy to lend you my Power for a weekend. It's the wider 155 model

(I did recently ask Specialized if they did test saddles but they said no)

That's very kind of you to offer but unfortunately I live in Gloucestershire so I couldn't be much further away really.
  • pblakeney
    Many thanks for the replies. I am definitely toying with the idea of either getting a Brooks C17 or C15 saddle. However, after the mention of a Specialized Power saddle that also has to be put in the mix.

I ride quite a racy road bike but I am wanting to do long miles (upto century rides when my fitness allows) so are the new Brooks cambium saddles as flexible and giving as their original leather saddles? It seems to suggest that the C15 is more suited to a road bike whereas C17 is for touring, however I am attracted to the C17 due to the width, it looks like the C15 isnt as wide?
    AFAIK the number does relate to the width.
    I doubt the Cambiums are as flexible as leather but that is possibly tension bolt dependent. There is no tension bolt on a Cambium so the designers have probably decided on a middle ground stiffness.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • W631
    W631 Posts: 7
    I have a Spa Aire which I found to be harder than a Brooks.It doesn't absorb proofide or leather grease.And when I tried to remove the plastic strip to proofide the underside I discovered the saddle is made from two pieces of leather glued together!I now have a Brooks Swallow which is in a different league.
    I also have a Cambium C17.To be comfy I need to sit in the middle where it's at its springiest,not the back where the rivets are.Also had to experiment with saddle angle which has the nose raised more than other saddles i've used.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2017
    W631 wrote:
    I have a Spa Aire which I found to be harder than a Brooks.It doesn't absorb proofide or leather grease.And when I tried to remove the plastic strip to proofide the underside I discovered the saddle is made from two pieces of leather glued together!I now have a Brooks Swallow which is in a different league.
    I also have a Cambium C17.To be comfy I need to sit in the middle where it's at its springiest,not the back where the rivets are.Also had to experiment with saddle angle which has the nose raised more than other saddles i've used.
    This confirms my opinion that the Cambiums are VERY position fussy to get right.
    Original C13 at least IMO.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • C17 is the best for comfort.

For long rides I use my trusty Team pro with cut and folded edges for extra support

photo0200.jpg?ssl=1&w=450
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    Out of curiosity I just had my behind measured on the Specialized gadget; without any prompting the chap said I'd need the 155 width Power saddle, which is lucky since that's what I've got. I knew my posterior felt at home on it.

That also explains why I was so uncomfortable on the narrow Selle Italia thing my first bike came with

To thank him for his time I then bought some new shoes and pedals. Might gift-wrap them; it's my birthday tomorrow after all :D
  • I am very tempted to buy a C17 carved or C15. Would a C17 be too wide for a road bike? I have a fairly aggressive riding position following a bike fit. I have seen mentioned that a narrower C15 would be more suitable for a road bike given the riding position.

I have seen on other forums that test saddles are available but have not been able to find any information on websites/stockists? Does anyone know if these exist? The price of the saddle is putting me off if it isn't suitable after going through numerous saddles without much luck, hence the reason for wanting to try before I buy.
  • Would a C17 be too wide for a road bike?

No. I've got one on my road bike. It's not the most elegant or svelte looking thing, but it works well.

In terms of test saddles, most Brooks dealers (in my experience) have test saddles. Their range may be more or less, but they will have some. I'm from London so can only comment here, but I know you can get good ranges from Condor and also the Brooks shop. Although bizarrely I've found Condor better than their own shop.
  • The first thing you need to learn with a Brooks is patience... it takes time before it moulds in your shape.

The second is to throw away the key they give you to adjust the tension. Adjusting the tension is ruining the saddle. The third rule is to NOT use the proofide product they give you, because you DO want to weather the saddle so that it softens and moulds. Once it's moulded, then you can use all the leather creams you like. It's a bit of a journey and a long time investment. The one in the photo above has been purchased in 2010 and carved and folded in 2015... now it's a lovely saddle for long days on the bike
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Brooks are heavy and flexy
  • kingrollo
    The first thing you need to learn with a Brooks is patience... it takes time before it moulds in your shape.

The second is to throw away the key they give you to adjust the tension. Adjusting the tension is ruining the saddle. The third rule is to NOT use the proofide product they give you, because you DO want to weather the saddle so that it softens and moulds. Once it's moulded, then you can use all the leather creams you like. It's a bit of a journey and a long time investment. The one in the photo above has been purchased in 2010 and carved and folded in 2015... now it's a lovely saddle for long days on the bike

Disagree with all the above.
    My brooks got pretty comfy out of the box - got better with time
    I tension it once a year or so
    Proof ride is to waterproof it - if you get caught in the odd shower.

Don't know why people are so concerned with cost\lifespan - my brooks b17 imp was £70 - hardly big money for a saddle. 3 years still going strong !
  • keef66
    kingrollo wrote:
    The first thing you need to learn with a Brooks is patience... it takes time before it moulds in your shape.

Disagree with all the above.
    My brooks got pretty comfy out of the box - got better with time
    I tension it once a year or so
    Proof ride is to waterproof it - if you get caught in the odd shower.

Don't know why people are so concerned with cost\lifespan - my brooks b17 imp was £70 - hardly big money for a saddle. 3 years still going strong !

Me too, B17 special, comfy from the off, only barely imperceptible dimples after 8 years use. Proofided fairly often to protect it, and occasional tweak of the tension bolt when I think it's starting to sag a bit. It still looks a thing of beauty, and I suspect it's going to outlive me...
  • Tensioning weakens the leather... the more you tension it, the more it will need to be tensioned. Best never to touch the screw. I basically ruined a Swallow by tensioning it.

As for the proofide... I think a good soaker is exactly what is needed to mould it into shape... after all it's the way leather is treated pre-molding. After that, then yes, you want to proofide it to avoid premature wear.
  • Thank you to everyone's input. Just a quick update if anyone is interested. I tried out a C17 and although it was better and the saddle irons out any bumps like no saddle I've had I was advised by a LBS that I need more padding to eradicate the pain I'm suffering which isn't really provided with a Brooks. So I'm now trying out a Fizik Aliante (large) following their recommendation which at the moment does seem to have improved the situation but I've only been out for a couple of rides so far so only time will tell. My next saddle I've got lined up to try is a Specialized Power saddle if the Fizik saddle doesn't solve the problem.
  • Thank you to everyone's input. Just a quick update if anyone is interested. I tried out a C17 and although it was better and the saddle irons out any bumps like no saddle I've had I was advised by a LBS that I need more padding to eradicate the pain I'm suffering which isn't really provided with a Brooks. So I'm now trying out a Fizik Aliante (large) following their recommendation which at the moment does seem to have improved the situation but I've only been out for a couple of rides so far so only time will tell. My next saddle I've got lined up to try is a Specialized Power saddle if the Fizik saddle doesn't solve the problem.

Padding in the saddle doesn't do much... you want good padding in your shorts and a saddle of the correct shape
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The reason why a Brooks leather saddle is so comfortable for many people is that the leather moulds to the shape of your backside. The more you ride, the better the saddle gets. It's just like the way in which a pair of leather gloves form themselves over time to the shape of your hands. The lack of padding is not an issue. The natural spring in the hammock-style construction irons out the bumps. But of course they are heavy if that worries you. And you need to protect them from getting soaked.

The rubber Brooks saddles like the C17 have the same hammock-style construction but the rubber will never mould to your posterior like a leather saddle. I doubt whether you would achieve the ultimate comfort of say a B17 or Team Pro.

Having said that, I get on very well with an Aliante VS with carbon rails on my carbon road bike.
  • kingrollo
    A lot of YMMV.

mY b17 imperial was comfy from the first ride.....so comfy I don't know why plastic saddles exist ! - but lots of people don't get on with them - having rode a brooks for a few years now I can't see how padding helps anything - you butt needs to glide (ever so slightly across the saddle) - the shape of course helps and perhaps the LBS recommended saddle in helping in that respect...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    kingrollo wrote:
    A lot of YMMV.

mY b17 imperial was comfy from the first ride.....so comfy I don't know why plastic saddles exist ! - but lots of people don't get on with them - having rode a brooks for a few years now I can't see how padding helps anything - you butt needs to glide (ever so slightly across the saddle) - the shape of course helps and perhaps the LBS recommended saddle in helping in that respect...
    What does YMMV mean?

EDIT: Just done a search of urban slang and I see it means Your Mileage May Vary. Derived from American automobile commercial small print in the 70s and 80s.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mercia Man wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    A lot of YMMV.

What does YMMV mean?

EDIT: Just done a search of urban slang and I see it means Your Mileage May Vary. Derived from American automobile commercial small print in the 70s and 80s.

Yes, another ugly Americanism. More appropriate would be YFCMV.....

I have a Honey Brooks Professional on my tourer - bought second hand. Took about 1000 miles for it to stop killing me but it is nice now and always fascinating to see how the colours change over time! That said, for touring the B17 is generally reckoned to be a better saddle. For a carbon bike, I reckon a Professional would look rather good.
    Faster than a tent.......