Pinarello Gan or Planet X EC-130?

The Rogue Rider
The Rogue Rider Posts: 9
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi!

Bit of help needed to push me over the line...

Bike was wrecked earlier in the year (due to a white van man taking me out), and I'm now fit enough to get back onto a bike. Well... Unfit, but all parts are moving as they should be! :D

My old bike (Boardman Carbon) needs new components, handlebar and stem and I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've decided to use the old bike as a winter/training bike, and buy a shiny new one to help get me back out on the road.

I was looking at buying a Pinarello Gan 105 Mix (£1920) and swapping the components onto the old bike, and upgrading the Gan with Ultegra 6800 GS. Total price would be £2580 inc labour. Not including upgrading wheel set on the Gan or replacing the Boardman's wheels which were wrecked. (Cosmic Elites that were being used for the first time had the rims split)

Planet X have now got a sale on, and the EC-130E Ultegra 6870 Di2 is going for £1999.99

Much better GS than the Pinarello (which I've taken on a test ride), but would have to go to Sheffield to try out the Planet X

This bike had great reviews when it came out, and looks like the better option... Although not sure it's an all rounder like the Pinarello :?:

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• I take it you work for Planet X.
    In which case you could keep the groupset and throw the rest of the crap in the bin.
  • I take it you work for Planet X.
    In which case you could keep the groupset and throw the rest of the crap in the bin.

Not sure which part of my post makes you think that! :?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    its pretty much winter now, fix the Boardman and keep your wedge of cash until January sales.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    The Planet x got very good reviews when it came out.

I personally prefer the look of the Ec-130 over the Pinarello. So that would make the choice easy for me.
    Then get a second hand 105 groupset for the boardman
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Pinarello every time.

Because thats what u really want. Don't spend £2k on your second choice bike.
  • As you have never posted here before your first entry appears as a blatant advert for a sale item from Planet X
    Pretty sure this isn't the first time Planet X gets some sale item highlighted by a first time poster. Then they never really follow up on any of the replies.
    yes im cynical.
  • As you have never posted here before your first entry appears as a blatant advert for a sale item from Planet X
    Pretty sure this isn't the first time Planet X gets some sale item highlighted by a first time poster. Then they never really follow up on any of the replies.
    yes im cynical.
    The reason for coming on here was to get some feedback from like minded people. If you read my post properly, you would see my lean is towards the Pinarello. It's only the fact that the Planet X has a much better GS, as to why I'm considering it. In my opinion, the Pina looks and rides fantastically well, and I had to drive from London to Swindon to try it out. As I don't fancy a round trip to Sheffield to do the same, I thought I'd seek 'constructive' opinion on here. Pardon me for looking at a sale bargain and mentioning it in my post. As you say, it's my first post, so apologies if there's some sort of etiquette for asking a question!
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Pinarello every time.

Because thats what u really want. Don't spend £2k on your second choice bike.

You're right, the Pina looks sexy as hell and feels great! The EC-130 has Toray T800 carbon, which is what you get on the Gan RS, but that costs £1k more. That and the Di2 makes me question heart over head in terms of what I'm paying for.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't see many Pinarello Gans lining up at local/regional races. See plenty of EC130s though. The EC130 is a good frame, just sayin..
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,077
    Imposter wrote:
    Don't see many Pinarello Gans lining up at local/regional races. See plenty of EC130s though. The EC130 is a good frame, just sayin..

Yep - just bought one for that reason
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I buy heavily on looks - that motivates me to ride - it also means I feel the need to change my bike less often. for me the planet x doesn't even come close. Its easily the pinarello...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Up to you. You pay more for the pinarello brand. Hence why the PX is better value.
  • cougie wrote:
    Up to you. You pay more for the pinarello brand. Hence why the PX is better value.

Agree you pay more for the Pinarello brand, but also means you don't see one on every corner. Is the EC-130 a bike that you can use when ever and where ever? I know that I can use the Gan on long and short rides, and really want to know if it'll be the same with the PX or if it's a pure aero bike for only quick rides and not long ones?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure I've seen a EC130 out before ? I've a. Aero bike from PX myself and it's fine for rides >100. I just like the look of it - I can't see there's any measurable benefits from the aero-ness....
  • I like the look of the EC130 then I saw the cycling weekly video where they tested various items in the wind tunnel and found that it wasn't aero at all really. It saved about 3 watts over a normal bike . When shoe covers saved 7!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,077
    I like the look of the EC130 then I saw the cycling weekly video where they tested various items in the wind tunnel and found that it wasn't aero at all really. It saved about 3 watts over a normal bike . When shoe covers saved 7!

So add the shoe covers and you have got 10 watts :)
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    if you were to buy either the Pinarello or the PX as frame only which one would you buy?

Get the one which floats your boat and slowly upgrade the groupset over time, with the release of R8000 i think we ill start to see some great deals on 6800 soon.

IMO, there's nowt wrong with PX but if the choice was between a Pinarello or a PX I know which one I would buy (plus higher resale value too than the PX)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • JesseD wrote:
    if you were to buy either the Pinarello or the PX as frame only which one would you buy?

Get the one which floats your boat and slowly upgrade the groupset over time, with the release of R8000 i think we ill start to see some great deals on 6800 soon.

IMO, there's nowt wrong with PX but if the choice was between a Pinarello or a PX I know which one I would buy (plus higher resale value too than the PX)
    Yeah, I'd go for the Pinarello! I think my mind has been made up... Just the thought of a bargain that made me think twice about the whole thing. If my compensation claim gets sorted in my favour, maybe I'll treat myself and buy both! :mrgreen:
    I've already bought the Ultegra GS from Wiggle, so just need to work out a good deal on wheels. Will ask thoughts about those on another post.
  • JesseD
    JesseD wrote:

Yeah, I'd go for the Pinarello! I think my mind has been made up... Just the thought of a bargain that made me think twice about the whole thing. If my compensation claim gets sorted in my favour, maybe I'll treat myself and buy both! :mrgreen:
    I've already bought the Ultegra GS from Wiggle, so just need to work out a good deal on wheels. Will ask thoughts about those on another post.

Whats your budget on wheels and what kind of wheels are you looking at?

I've been running DT Swiss RRC65 Dicut clinchers this year which have been great for the type of racing I have been doing, however I have just bought a set of Hunt Race Aero Wide which i used in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last week and they have been faultless, very stiff but as I ran tubeless also very comfortable, pretty light at under 1500g a pair and they look good. I was a little unsure when i was recommended them but I have been suitably impressed.
  • Whats your budget on wheels and what kind of wheels are you looking at?

I've been running DT Swiss RRC65 Dicut clinchers this year which have been great for the type of racing I have been doing, however I have just bought a set of Hunt Race Aero Wide which i used in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last week and they have been faultless, very stiff but as I ran tubeless also very comfortable, pretty light at under 1500g a pair and they look good. I was a little unsure when i was recommended them but I have been suitably impressed.[/quote]

Looking for something under 1500g - I've seen the Hunt's in a reputable bike store and thought they seemed like a good set for the price (sub £400). Don't really want to spend more than that, but I should be able to get a deal when buying the Pina as will ask them to swap for an upgraded set. Any thoughts on Fulcrums? They seem to have those on a lot of the in-store bikes.
  • JesseD
    I personally would steer clear of Fulcrums after having issues with 3 pairs of racing quattros, first 2 had dodgy brake surfaces and the third had the bearings and freehub go after a couple of months. Others love them mind!
  • Hi. Thinking about buying a road bike and had a choice between Pinarello Gan and Gan S. As I understand it, both the bike from the "entry level" and are distinguished only by the quality of the carbon. Who knows what the weight of the frame from Gan (carbon Т600) and Gan S (carbon Т700)?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    If you are an obese dentist or lawyer who wears full sky kit get the pinarello, other wise get the PX. :wink:
  • Not sure what the OP or later poster bought, but I have a Gan S and it is awesome. I’ve ridden my mates F8 and there rally is little difference....plus it’s beautiful to look at :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the correct answer is of course Neither. the PX is used in crits because its probably a good half decent crit bike. its a cheap quasi aero frame that looks ok and probably goes just fine.

the Gan is effectively a lower cost F8 a like. looks nice, sure, but really, you could just get a Fuji transonic frame from evans for £899 which is their high modulus frame, and less than 1kg, is proven at world tour level, and widely regarded as better bang for buck than either of these, and will be lighter, and frankly just better. just shop around, there are better bikes to be had for less money...
  • Hi all! Just wanted to update, that I bought a Gan S in the end as I got a great deal! Very happy with the bike and glad I did the research and sought out opinions. Althought they were mixed, it essentially helped me to make my choice. :D