Stripped b screw thread

MonkFunk
MonkFunk Posts: 91
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Somehow managed to strip / cross thread the b screw hole on my rear xt mech. Managed to get the screw out, tried another b screw from an old mech but once it gets to the cross thread it won't budge and didn't want to force it as I was feeling that the head was going to round and it would be stuck, so backed it out and have left it. Can this be tapped if I take to the lbs or is it a write off?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may be able to be tapped if the cross threading isn't too deep, if not it can be helicoiled.

Where are you? I have a tap set.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Run an M4 tap through it.
    It would be easier to retap to M5 than use a helicopter.
  • Cheers for the replies

Managed to sort it. Read up that it was an M4 size and found that Halfords had an M4 bolt that had a slighter larger hex head which took a 3mm hex key rather a 2mm for the stock screw. Using the larger hex key allowed better engagement with the head and more leverage and I was able to chase the screw through like a tap. Running fine again now thankfully!