140 to 160 disc swap on a Giant Defy?

BlueNGT
BlueNGT Posts: 119
edited September 2017 in Workshop
With darkness arriving sooner I am starting to get set for Winter. Need a new trainer but also have my first disc brake bike so don't have a trainer wheels.

Considered direct drive trainers but they are above what I want to spend therefore cheap spare trainer wheel is my thought process.

Rather than just buy a rear wheel and put a 140 disc on it I thought maybe swap the front disc to a 160, put the 140 that is on the front wheel on the rear trainer wheel and I get an upgrade and trainer wheel at the same time.

The bike is a 2016 Giant Defy Advance SL 1.

Never having had a disc brake bike before what do I need to make the swap to 160 a front disc?

Thanks

Comments

• You'll need an adaptor for your front calliper, one which converts from 140 to 160 mm. This is because with the bigger disc the calliper has to be positioned so that it is at the outer edge of the disc. Make sure the adaptor is for 160 mm and that it is correct for how your calliper is mounted (ie, is it post mount or flat mount, etc). Once you have the adaptor and your disc you're pretty much good to go :-) Just make sure the disc you get is the correct fitting also (ie, 6 bolt or centre lock). Good luck :-)