Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 (2016)

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm considering investing in one of these now the prices have been reduced. Does anyone own one, or have any experience with the bike, or Giant's own-brand components and wheels (SLR 0 Wheelset)? Any impressions or advice would be great.

Comments

• I own a 2017 version which is identical. I did extensive testing between 2017 models TCR (Non-SL, due to uncut seatpost), Tarmac S-Works, Supersix Evo, and Emonda SLR. My heart was set on the S-Works before doing the testing.
    The TCR was at a disadvantage being it was the Advanced Pro, not SL. It still managed to be the most impressive bike of the group being the most agile, planted (equal to the S-works), lightweight (similar to the Evo and Emonda). My testing was done on mostly on flat roads but included some climbing and descents. The Emonda is an impressive bike until you put down power and notice the frame flex. The S-Works is stiff as it gets but felt sluggish compared to the rest. I just could not connect with the Evo, for some reason.
    As for the wheels, mine came with the tubeless SLR 1's. Impressive wheels though I have upgraded to Campy Bora Ultras.
  • Sanjay
    Thanks for that, I ordered one a couple of days ago so your post is reassuring!
  • I too have an Advanced SL pro 0 - though a sort of custom build with Ultegra 11 speed shifting, Rotor P2Max and the Giant SLR1 wheels shod with Vittoria corsa g + 23mm which measure 25mm on the giant wheels as Giant 25mm are pinched to a 24mm. I do not run tubeless.

I absolutely love it, is is without doubt the best climbing rig I have owned and just climbs in a way I have not experienced before in so much it seems incredibly stiff at the BB when spinning on long climbs.

The real shock with these bikes is that I personally think the giant in house wheels are remarkable in performance, but also in value. Over the years I have tried Zipp (was running 303 in 2009/10 but Zipp wheels are not as stiff now as back then). Fast Foward, Mavic, loaned a demo set of Enve at Muddock back in 2013 - of the bigger names in I feel that the Giant wheels attack on slopes incredibly wheel when partnered with a good bike and look and feel like Enve wheels. They are doing something right with their wheels for sure with the DBL lacing. Stiff as heck. I note a 42mm set are coming in the 2018 launch. Do use the in house brake blocks too as they perform well with the wheels. This combo netted my my first ever KOM on Strava in Devon which was nice ! LOL.

In context four years ago I moved to one of the hilliest parts of the UK - Devon and the TCR has helped me evolve and become a better climber and also have the mental capacity to be a better climber. Hills hurt, but the TCR makes it easier and it is the bike I use to climb, climb, climb where as my Pinarello is the full gas eye balls out Fast Tuesday bike and personally, I think the TCR out climbs it all day long. A 55 mile ride around Dartmoor can yield 6000 feet of climbing and the TCR is the right bike for that. It descends well with OD2 headset and capable on the flat. Hope that helps.
  • Sanjay
    It certainly does, thanks for such a detailed reply. I was wanting something light and good on the climbs over any other characteristics.