have i bought the wrong one?

gaz350
gaz350 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in MTB beginners
hi all, i would like any opinions please on my new bike.
i understand it may be a daft question as i have not rode it yet, as i may take it back to the shop i got it and exchange for another.
im riding from home on roads to get to cycle tracks, old railway lines and canal trails, around 20k on a typical ride.
started 6 months ago with a cheap mtb, 26" with front sus, really enjoyed it but found it hard work going up hills.
i the got a v light boardman pro 27.5 hybrid which was great, but found it really uncomfortable having no sus at all.
i put fatter tyres on but didnt make it any better really.
now a friend of mine goes riding every week , but the trips he goes on would not be suitable for my hybrid.
so i wanted the best of both

so on sunday i bought a full sus whyte g160s, it felt so comfy and felt just right.
so yesterday my pal arrives to inspect as i intend to join him on his next ride, and tells me to take it back as the 160mm travel is way too much for the riding im doing, and will struggle on the roads and hilly cycle tracks.
so should i take it back as ive not yet used it and im sure they will exchange.
if i take it out today and scuff it im sure they wont exchange and i will be stuck with it.
so is he right or can this bike be the all rounder i was hoping for?
thanks

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    well in part he is right, in that the 160mm will be harder work on the road and you will be lugging the extra weight around and the slack geometry is better suited for the steep stuff etc etc etc.

but ! ...... he probably has penis envy .. yours is bigger than his. :D

Its personal though ... I felt 150mm to be too much and have dropped down to 120mm and that's to do the likes of Cwmcarn and Afan ...... but loads of people I know are happy to use that length on the road as it pays dividens when it comes to going down the rough stuff
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    For the riding you describe a G160 is way over the top. It's an enduro bike designed for off-road use to climb well and descent even better on the rough stuff.
    If you want a full sus then something with around 100mm travel such as a Giant Anthem is probably more suitable.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thanks for replies, i was kind of thinking i may want to get into more demanding trails next year, so thats another reason for choosing this one.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Generally speaking a bike like that will be designed more for going downhill than uphill. Although it will do both, the hills could well be harder. A 'trail' bike with 140mm suspension could suit you better, it will be designed to go up and down in equal measure.

In my opinion, it's the closest to an all round bike you can get.

Having said that, the Whyte looks lovely. :D
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • spoke to the store and they will swap it.
    maybe a specialized stumpjumper comp 29er would be a better choice as a good all rounder
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Still look pretty enduro rather than trail to me. What shop are you limited to now? I assume a refund isn't an option? Something like a Bird Aeris or YT Jeffsy for your budget would be good.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Whyte T130 would be better than the G160 as an all rounder thats better going uphill. I assume if the shop stocks whyte they will have this.

Giant Anthem or Focus Spine might be other good options. The Bird Aeris would be fab but if you have to swap with the same shop it wont be an option.

Basically, anything above 120mm would likely be designed for downhill and rough stuff at the expense of more effort to ride on the flat and definately harder to go uphill. 100mm is probably ideal for you but 120mm is pretty much an all round good compromise these days.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the shop stock Specialized, and I am assuming they do from the above, then a Camber may be a better option.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thanks to all, yes i went for camber expert and it is spot on