11-28 to 11-32, new rear mech?

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited September 2017 in Workshop
Hi, after purchasing a bike with a semi compact 52/36 chainset instead of my old 50/34 compact I was thinking of changing rear mech from 11-28 to 11-32 (I stay in hilly area of Scotland!) Would I need a new rear mech for this, and therefore chain or would I just be better changing the chain rings on front back to a compact set up? Money wise a new cassette, rear mech and chain would come in more than new front chainrings if did have to get a longer rear mech.
Also, if did new chainrings at front, I take it I would also then need alter the front mech for shifting?

Thanks for any advice/info

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,501
    Do you think you need to go to 32?
    You should get away with an 11-30 with your current mech.
  • sorry, should have added its 11 speed so ratios are 11-25, 11-28 or 11-32
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I assume you have a short cage SS rear derailleur with your 11-28T cassette? First thing to try is fit the 11-32T cassette and adjust the B-Tension screw (screw in), to see if you can achieve the required clearance between the 32T sprocket and the top RD guide pulley wheel. If that does not work, though there are youtube videos available to show this does work, and some members on BR forums have confirmed this, you can purchase a roadlink adaptor to reposition the RD lower down to clear larger cassette sprockets.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink
    watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5b0kr1bss
    Shows the principle, though that example is using a long cage GS derailleur.

If you feel you still would prefer a compact 50/34T crankset, in addition to the 11-32T cassette, it is usually cheaper to buy the complete crankset, rather than the rings separately.
  • yes it's the short cage rear mech.
    I wouldn't run 11/32 and 50/34 set up, option is either go for 11/32 and keep chainset at the 52/36 semi option meaning new cassette, chain and rear mech, or just switch rings on front chainset for 50/34 option and keep rear as 11/28.
    I think money wise swapping chainrings at front might be cheaper.
  • singleton
    shiznit76 wrote:
    sorry, should have added its 11 speed so ratios are 11-25, 11-28 or 11-32

Yes I assumed it was 11 speed Shimano.
    So is mine and I've fitted a Shimano Ultegra 11-30 cassette.
    I think people also fit SRAM cassettes and others, but I wanted to stay with Shimano.

Not cheap, but maybe cheaper than the other options.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... 7C595049UK
  • Good find, I never knew came in that size.
    Would I need to a longer rear mech also though? Have short one at present
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Conflicting info on the 'net...

I'm off to Barcelona in a months time and looking to go from my 11/25T to a 11/30T cassette, paired with 36/53T chainrings (Shimano Di2 9070).

Would give me a climbing gear (36/30) of a 1.20 ratio which is even better than a regular compact (34/28, 1.21 ratio).
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • singleton
    I think it's a fairly new addition TBH.

I'm running a 36/52 front, now with an 11-30 rear in place of the 11-28 and all works okay.
    Obviously the mech is closer on the 30t than it was on the 28t, but nothing is touching or rubbing anywhere. I also avoid running big/big gear combinations but I always avoided that when on the 11-28 anyway.

I've done some decent climbs (such as alpe d'huez) with the 36/28 combination, but for a big day out it's always nice to have the 30 as a fall back.
  • Ryan_W wrote:

I'm off to Barcelona in a months time and looking to go from my 11/25T to a 11/30T cassette, paired with 36/53T chainrings (Shimano Di2 9070).

Would give me a climbing gear (36/30) of a 1.20 ratio which is even better than a regular compact (34/28, 1.21 ratio).

Are you running this on a short mech?
  • ryan_w-2
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

SS mech, yes.

11/30 cassette has been ordered. Will report back to let you know if it works, or if my mech gets ripped off :lol:

• Ryan_W wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

SS mech, yes.

11/30 cassette has been ordered. Will report back to let you know if it works, or if my mech gets ripped off :lol:

Putting on a new chain also?
  • ryan_w-2
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

SS mech, yes.

Putting on a new chain also?

Nope, chain length is from 53/28 setup so 'should' be fine with 53/30. Currently working perfectly fine on 53/25 setup also.
    Not that one should ever cross-chain....

• I'm off to the Alps in a few weeks and decided I needed a 32 cassette to be safe. I currently run a 50/34 with 11-28 on a Short cage mech.

I purchased the GS Cage outer and inner and swapped these on my 6870 Ultegra mech. Everything works perfectly, I did purchase a slightly longer B screw but all in all we're good.

My chain length was a little short so I opted to replace the chain too.

The only tricky part of the install was the spring but I'm not the most competent bike mechanic but managed this all the same.
  • ryan_w-2
    34/32 will be ridiculous! That's a 1.06 ratio. You will be quicker getting off and walking :lol:

• cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Ryan_W wrote:
    34/32 will be ridiculous! That's a 1.06 ratio. You will be quicker getting off and walking :lol:

backwards!
    Unless you are carrying tents, trailers etc then you are let off! :D
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Ryan_W wrote:

Ignore comments like this. Why isnt there a yawning smiley?
  • ryan_w-2
    lesfirth wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Enlighten me...

• lesfirth
    Ryan_W wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Enlighten me...

Whenever this subject comes up there is always some smart ar*e who makes a comment like this. MTFU. It has become predictably boooring.

Fifty years ago I might have been one. Standard lowest gear then was 48 / 25. I now find a" ridiculous gear ratio"( currently 34 / 34 ) makes my cycling more enjoyable.
    At a cadence of 70 this gives me a speed of around 5.5 mph. My current 5K running speed is not a lot higher than that on the flat . So it is certainly quicker than walking We have propper hills in my area and I am confident I can get up anything, quicker than walking and without,as has been suggesting here,falling off.

Have whatever you want.Thats your business but don't ridicule others less capable. :D
  • I enjoy a bit of banter... :D:D

34 / 32 is ridiculous but least I've got it if i need it. I've never ridden any mountains before so i'd rather have the option even if it's not used.

It also gives me a chance to spin for a bit to release the lactate!

Its only 2 weeks away now so I'll let you know if i use it!
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    evodeda wrote:
    I enjoy a bit of banter... :D:D

34 / 32 is ridiculous but least I've got it if i need it. I've never ridden any mountains before so i'd rather have the option even if it's not used.

good luck and enjoy!
  • lesfirth
    evodeda wrote:
    I enjoy a bit of banter... :D:D

My experience is that you do not suddenly have the ability to spin up hills. You just grind a bit quicker. It is always better having a gear you do not need than to need one you do not have. :D