2018 Allez

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I about to pull the trigger on a spec allez through C2W but models in shops in London are a bit thin on the ground to test out, so I wondered if I could tap the collective wisdom on best size. I am 5'10 with 31" inside leg (I think) and I fit my 56 Trek ALR6 (H2 fit) pretty perfectly. Looking at the two geo charts, I think the 56 on the Allez is probably about right, but the high stack is swaying me towards a 54. I know the old adage about size down, but I am new to all things geometry so wondered if there was anything obvious to suggest definitely go for 54/56?

Thanks

http://villagecycle.com/product/features/trek-emonda-alr-6-pro-286708-1-390132.htm
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-allez-e5-2018-road-bike-EV306365

Comments

• I'm a little over 5'9" with a 32" inseam and ride a 54 Tarmac, which is pretty close in geo to an Allez. I think your saddle might be a bit low on a 56? But surely there's some in London to try?!? Maybe it's because they're just arriving so wait a week or two?
  • 5'9" and 10 years ago I had an Allez 56. Lovely aggressive frame
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks - it was finding a store with 54 & 56 for a back to back test if possible, but think one the cycle surgery shops has both, assuming they are built up of course. Ugo - I understand that whilst the frameset is improved with a good carbon fork and dropped seat stays, at the same time they have relaxed the geo from days of old so I thought it would be good to size down to keep me from being too upright
  • Yep I'd heard that about the geo too. Not sure you have to do a back to back either, I reckon you'll probably know if it feels right or not just trying one...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm same height and ride a 2011 Allez 56. I did "slam" the stem a few years ago, but put it back when I changed use from summer road bike to winter/wet commuter. Yes, the stack is tall, but not massively.
    If you're looking to race then you may benefit from the 54 with a long stem - so yup - you need to get on both and see which you like.
  • I realise we're all different but I'm 6'1" and have had two Tarmacs, both 56, I'd say you'd be better off on a 54.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack