ToB - Brill hill Stage 7 KoM - parking

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2017 in Pro race
Hi all, new to this forum so be gentle!

Anyone know the Brill area, hoping to take kids to watch ToB on Saturday, I've ridden the hill but don't know area around, would need to park.

Thanks

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Hey Sam, welcome

Generally we're fine here : ) The guaranteed way of a new poster getting a frosty reception is to make their first post about doping....

I cant answer your question I'm afraid - hopefully someone else can

But I've got a similar question myself re Cleeve Hill on Sat....
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,595

Very limited parking up there. There is some dotted about for walkers and the Rising Sun pub, but not enough for the likely crowds. I presume there may be an opportunist landowner who may have a field they open up?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:

Very limited parking up there. There is some dotted about for walkers and the Rising Sun pub, but not enough for the likely crowds. I presume there may be an opportunist landowner who may have a field they open up?

Cheers Clem. Any likely place you'd suggest parking - dont mind a bit of a walk
  • carbonclem

Off the top of my head, if it were me I'd head for Winchcombe and park there and walk up the hill if nothing else presented itself on the day.

I'm going into Chelt town centre for the finish on Saturday, and will get my KOM fix at British Camp on Sunday I think. :)
  • CarbonClem wrote:

Off the top of my head, if it were me I'd head for Winchcombe and park there and walk up the hill if nothing else presented itself on the day.

I'm going into Chelt town centre for the finish on Saturday, and will get my KOM fix at British Camp on Sunday I think. :)

Think the hill's a bit easier to cycle up from that side, too, isn't it? Long time since I've been down that way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Yeah park in Winchcombe and trek up RR. Nice little Cotswold village, do the tourist bit and visit Sudeley Castle too.

My office is literally on the finish line in Cheltenham so we're having a party there though I'd rather watch on the hill.

Can't help with the OP though sorry!
  • Pross wrote:
    Yeah park in Winchcombe and trek up RR. Nice little Cotswold village, do the tourist bit and visit Sudeley Castle too.

My office is literally on the finish line in Cheltenham so we're having a party there though I'd rather watch on the hill.

Can't help with the OP though sorry!

I loves a day out in the country!
  • carbonclem
    Don't be tempted to park in Woodmancote and walk up Bushcombe Lane though!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    So no answers for Sam? I can't help I'm afraid.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RR hijacked the thread :P

I was struggling up to Brill on Sunday. If you don't fancy trying in the village itself then I'd try parking around Tramhill and walking a wee bit... didn't look to be too many restrictions.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    SecretSam wrote:
    Hi all, new to this forum so be gentle!

Anyone know the Brill area, hoping to take kids to watch ToB on Saturday, I've ridden the hill but don't know area around, would need to park.

Thanks

OK, I'll caveat this as I don't know the area at all! However, looking at Google Maps and the road book there appears to be a wide verge along many of the roads in the area of the start of the climb and also a large triangle of grass between two roads that join together going into Brill (I can't work out which the race follows). Looking at that I would say you should be OK to park on the verges if they don't cone them off and as long as the grass isn't too long / verge too soft!

However, it doesn't look like much of a climb and the riders will probably fly up it in a few seconds. Which side of Brill would you be coming from? There's a feed station about 20 miles further west (near Blenheim Palace) that should see them slowing down and if you can position yourself a couple of hundred metres after it there's a reasonable chance of some discarded musettes / bottles coming your way as souvenirs for the kids (just watch out for bikes and traffic when picking them up!!). There's also a drink station shown about 5 miles east of Brill so again a possible chance of souvenirs.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Whatever you do, don't park on the course!
    nasty crash on stage 3; car parked on exit of corner.

Rear window smashed.
  • Nobody rides up Brill on the tour route*, I'm sure they have their reasons for their choice. But it's about a 100m climb however you do it and very picturesque with the windmill and stuff.

No idea on parking, I guess it will be necessary just to stop and walk. I expect the village itself will be choked.

Paul

*We once went over and rode up four different ways, but not the ToB one. https://www.strava.com/activities/1054915292 if anybody wants to explore.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Do kids like watching bike races ? It's ok in the summer heat when you can enjoy the weather but every time ive been to see the TOB they whizz by in seconds after me freezing on the roadside for an hour or more in bike kit. God knows why I go back so often.

By comparison - go see the tour in France and its usually gorgeous weather and you can ride some great climbs.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    We watched the ToB from the Rising Sun garden a few years ago, we had a table next to the road, so only had to stand up.

Might walk there on Saturday or cycle along the top of the hill.
  • secretsam
    Thanks folks. We were on hols in France a couple of years ago, and by chance the Tour du Limousin had a stage start nearby. Took my daughter, she loved it, thought it was nuts that you could just wander up and chat to Majka, etc! So am trying to keep that going. There's s0d all sport in Aylesbury worth bothering with, so I make the most of it!

Would have gone to Hemel for the start, but my boy has a sports club Sat mornings.

• secretsam
    In the end we were early enough to park in a layby on one of the other hills into Brill

Great atmosphere and really big crowd, kids loved it

Big shout out to One Pro cycling for free bidons!

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    SecretSam wrote:
    In the end we were early enough to park in a layby on one of the other hills into Brill

Great atmosphere and really big crowd, kids loved it

Big shout out to One Pro cycling for free bidons!

Great stuff :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.