3rd 6800 BB in a 1.5 years.. Alternatives?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Just fitted my last 6800 bb to the road bike after the bearings on the drive side have become grouchy/notched, and I don't want them to shatter like the last ones did!

1.5 years, 3000 miles, seems to average 1000 miles a BB. (Yes, I'm heavy, and its' all weather riding). They were installed and torqued up correctly, as far as I'm aware.

At £11 a BB, it's not "too" bad, but more than I'd planned for. I'd gone with 6800 BB as they were cheaper than the 5700 BBs, but they are now on par cost at ribble.

I'm wondering if a "better quality" ,such as hope etc bottom bracket would last longer to warrant it, and whether it's really worth it at £67 currently, given that the bearings are more than a 6800 BB at £16 a side!

Anyway, feedback greatly appreciated.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'd say the problem is not the BB but the BB shell may be out of alignment. I have a 6800 BB fitted for roughly 5000k kms and its still as smooth and free as the day it was new.
  • I think you have answered your own question but 1000 miles b=per BB is odd that indicates something is wrong like BB shell not aligned properly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    Just fitted my last 6800 bb to the road bike after the bearings on the drive side have become grouchy/notched, and I don't want them to shatter like the last ones did!

1.5 years, 3000 miles, seems to average 1000 miles a BB. (Yes, I'm heavy, and its' all weather riding). They were installed and torqued up correctly, as far as I'm aware.

At £11 a BB, it's not "too" bad, but more than I'd planned for. I'd gone with 6800 BB as they were cheaper than the 5700 BBs, but they are now on par cost at ribble.

I'm wondering if a "better quality" ,such as hope etc bottom bracket would last longer to warrant it, and whether it's really worth it at £67 currently, given that the bearings are more than a 6800 BB at £16 a side!

Anyway, feedback greatly appreciated.

i'd be miffed at replacing a bb after only 10,000 all weather, as above, something is wrong if they're failing that fast

fwiw my commute bike has a 105 bb in it, must've done 7,000 at least (no maintenance), it's still fine, other bike is bb30, first bearings did well over 15,000 miles all weather (but regular greasing)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    1000 miles for a tenner doesn't seem too bad to me to be honest, especially in all weathers with a heavy rider. You've obviously not had great luck, but compared to the cost of a premium bottom bracket...

You might want to try the Tiagra or 5700 BBs - the 6800 is a smaller design than previous, which would imply smaller bearings, and so perhaps more likely to fail.
  • Something is definitely wrong - they should last much longer than that with zero maintenance.

How much pre-load are you putting on the bearings with the plastic nut/screw on the non drive side? The correct amount is pretty much non at all in my experience. It should be 'tightened' just enough to remove any play and no more - literally just turn it until it bottoms out then tighten it a fraction i.e. as little as you can manage before doing up the pinch bolts.

Whatever you do, don't tighten it up finger tight as some people recommend - otherwise they last about 1000 miles.