Giant Contact SL dropper no longer drops after disconnecting.

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My Giant Contact SL dropper no longer drops.

I bought the bike from a friend who posted it to me. The seat post was disconnected for travel.

However, when I reconnected up the fiddly wire to the dropper it no longer works. When I flick the switch manually on the dropper it doesn’t drop.

It did work perfectly apparently before it was disconnected and shipped.

I don’t have recourse to go back to the friend I bought it from as he’s now moved overseas.

Can anyone suggest whether I may be able to remedy this myself.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Is the cable set up for the correct amount of pull?

You should be able to move the lever manually to release the post to check if it is working.
  • "When I flick the switch manually on the dropper it doesn’t drop"
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You are holding the ‘switch’ down and not just flickin’ it, aren’t you?

You also need to push the post down with a lot of force whilst holding the switch open.

Is this the bike you bought in January and had trouble connecting the dropper release cable on?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yes, i'm pulling the switch back and holding it open then trying to compress the seat post down with my hands. I've also connected the wire and tried to get the post to drop while riding with and without my bodyweight but it still doesn't move.

It is the bike I bought in january yes. I've been riding it as a fixed post as it won't drop but it seems pointless.

I may have to take it to my LBS but thought it might be a quick fix I could remedy myself.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • JBA
    Are you trying to run it internally- or externally-operated?
    If the cartridge is orientated for external operation then operating the switch at the bottom of the post will have no effect.

Have a look at THIS GUIDE for changing the operation if you need to.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • When the bike arrived the Dropper post was run internally and apparently worked fine this way. So all i've done is reconnect the end of the wire to the dropper post.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • JBA
    Take it apart and check the orientation of the cartridge.