ToB Stage 2: Kielder Water to Blyth 211.7km *Spoilers*

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,788
edited September 2017 in Pro race
Well, I can see Kristoff being religated for that. Text book from SKY

Comments

• :P Biggles, even
  • Boassen-Hagen surely. I think he could be, but he looked stronger than Viviani.
  • Boassen-Hagen surely. I think he could be, but he looked stronger than Viviani.

He crossed so far to the left, I didnt think he'd be stopping till he reached the North Sea
  • This is a selection of the worst adverts I have ever seen.
  • Nice that they let him go on the podium just before amending the result.
  • correct decision (not the podium bit)
  • correct decision (not the podium bit)

Agreed - Boassen-Hagen looked like he was going to carry on into Viviani.
  • inseine
    :P Biggles, even
    :oops: Bit of jersey confusion, thought it was Kristoff in European champs jersey.
    EBH was very keen to apologise to Viviani.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    i didn't think it was that bad tbh.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    i didn't think it was that bad tbh.
    He came across a long way, but in his defence it wasn't a violent move.
  • i didn't think it was that bad tbh.

I think he moved off his line.
  • mididoctors
    he was well ahead but not a bike length i guess... none of the others were gaining on him and Viv looked like he hardly backed off at all..but whatever.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    And Taylor Phinney DQed for going through a level crossing as the barriers were closing
  • I think we need to merge the ToB threads to one for the whole race ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • mididoctors
    type:epyt wrote:
    I think we need to merge the ToB threads to one for the whole race ...

for this edition it seems prudent.
  • so it was the right decision on BH lol it was like a fourth cat or TTer effort.

Is Taylor Phinney dq from the whole event?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Watching the highlights back, the racing in the breakaway was actually pretty good value.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    he was well ahead but not a bike length i guess... none of the others were gaining on him and Viv looked like he hardly backed off at all..but whatever.

Agreed, ridiculous decision. Viviani wasn't getting through anyway and it was a gradual drift, not dangerous in any way. There'd be relegation in every sprint based on that.

Why isn't Cav sprinting? Has he been getting dropped? It's hard to tell anything on the ITV highlights!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Form probably isn't there. Saw a youtube video where it was mentioned he was riding at the front even for a bit. Probably just there for fitness and supporting the team.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Renshaw wasn't there for him ^ ^
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    What do you mean? Renshaw was there and led out EBH.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • I think Viviani probably wasn't getting through because there was a sprinter barrelling halfway across the road towards him looking like he was going to carry on through the barriers.

He probably wouldn't have won anyway, but who knows how fast Boassen-Hagen would have gone if he also had to control where his bike was going?
  • bobmcstuff
    I think the fact EBH was immediately apologetic tells you he knew he did bad.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Pretty depressing seeing the pro's sprinting up one of your local hills for kom points quicker than I could ever sprint on the flat.

Winters gibbet is a b*tch, steep to start but evens out and they absolutely flew up it yesterday.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Pretty depressing seeing the pro's sprinting up one of your local hills for kom points quicker than I could ever sprint on the flat.

Winters gibbet is a b*tch, steep to start but evens out and they absolutely flew up it yesterday.
    Really brings home the gap between them and us, doesn't it? :D
  • Is Taylor Phinney dq from the whole event?
    Yes. It's a clear rule with no ambiguity, he's been pretty cool on Twitter about it, admitting he was in the wrong and apologised to his team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Not sure if we're bothering with daily spoilers so I'll put it here. Two riders DQd today (Lowsley-Williams and an American whose name I missed) for riding on the pavement in order to attack. It seemed a bit harsh to go straight to a DQ especially as the peloton was taking up the entire road at a very pedestrian pace meaning it was the only way they could start racing.
  • r0bh
    The rules don't leave any wiggle room for the commissaires:

14bis.
    Use of sidewalks/pavements, paths or cycle
    paths that do not form part of the course
    rider:
    100 and/or elimination

I guess we've become too used to the rules not being applied.
  • bobmcstuff
    r0bh wrote:

14bis.
    rider:
    100 and/or elimination

It says "and/or" - so clearly it does leave some wiggle room. They could have taken the "or" option and just had a fine...
  • r0bh
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

14bis.
    rider:
    100 and/or elimination

It says "and/or" - so clearly it does leave some wiggle room. They could have taken the "or" option and just had a fine...

Hmm yes, I read that as elimination being inevitable but I think you're right. Even when the rules are applied they're as clear as mud!