Nukeproof wheels on a commercial bike?

maximus2k17
maximus2k17 Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a spare pair of Nukeproof generators lying around, and a Carrera with less than true wheels, instead of selling the Nukeproofs on, is there any possible way i can adapt the Nukeproofs to fit my Carrera?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about bike building or advanced bike tech, so a bit of a noob here

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What axles does the frame need front and rear?
    What axles do the wheels use?
    Is everything disc braked?
    Are the wheels the right size for the frame?

Some minor details help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    It is likely that the nuke proof wheele are worth more than the carerra bike. They tend to be for downhill bikes so have thru axles, usually 20mm front. Adapters are available but not cheap.

Why not true up the existing wheels? All you need is a £3 spoke key and some patience.
  • cooldad wrote:
    What axles does the frame need front and rear?
    What axles do the wheels use?
    Is everything disc braked?
    Are the wheels the right size for the frame?

Some minor details help.

The bike is a Carrera Kraken 2015
    Not sure about the axles for the frame but the front and rear hubs are 9mm Quick release and 5mm respectively
    The Nukeproof wheels use a Thru axle 15mm front 12mm back
    Discbrakes can be moved from Carrera to Nukeproofs?
    Nukeproof Generators are the same size as the previous wheels, 27.5"

These are the Nukeproof Hubs front and rear
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/418131146623853766/

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-generator-rear-sc-mtb-hub-135mm-x-12mm/rp-prod85828?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Skimlinks&awc=2698_1504591012_84a0d0eb4e49e4eefa650ee09699615d

Need some help on finding out about the axle specs for the Carrera Kraken, but info is sparse upon researching
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would be standard QR on the Carrera. 9mm front and 10mm rear. You'll need QR adapters for the Nukeproof hubs as the previous poster said.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    02GF74 wrote:
    It is likely that the nuke proof wheele are worth more than the carerra bike. They tend to be for downhill bikes so have thru axles, usually 20mm front. Adapters are available but not cheap.

Why not true up the existing wheels? All you need is a £3 spoke key and some patience.
    I once bought a Carrera Vulcan fitted with Mavic Deemax, to add to the intrigue the rear wheel was FUBAR with the hub 'flange' (straight pull spokes so really those funny blocks) being broken due to some form of heavy impact.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the replies guys

Fitted a the front wheel with a Nukeproof Conversion Kit 15mm to QR, and worked like a charm

Then went to fit the back one with a 12mm to QR converter, and fell at the first hurdle...the hub doesn't even fit between the frame....i think the rear hub is actually a 142mm length and the average mountain bike rear dropout is meant to be 135mm wide, it's only off by 7mm, any ideas? Or am i out of luck...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless it's a 135mm hub spaced up to 142mm with adaptors (pretty rare) you are out of luck.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.