Rim or disk brakes?

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
A probably never ending debate in general, but I just want to check my thinking is sound for my specific situation.

I will be buying a 2nd road bike* in the near(ish) future, probably a Giant TCR, or similar. I'm erring towards sticking with rim brakes for the following reasons:

1) This will be a fair weather bike only (I'll keep my old bike for bad weather)
2) I don't live near any long descents
3) I'm not made of money

Am I missing anything, or does this make sense?

(*Because I want one)

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    its nice if your second bike uses the same wheels and cassette as your 1st bike .... that way you can swap the wheels when need be !

on that, I would go rim brakes .. and the same speed
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    tjw_78 wrote:
    1) This will be a fair weather bike only (I'll keep my old bike for bad weather)
    2) I don't live near any long descents
    3) I'm not made of money
    Get rim then.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    its nice if your second bike uses the same wheels and cassette as your 1st bike .... that way you can swap the wheels when need be !

on that, I would go rim brakes .. and the same speed

yup
  • It would be rim brakes for me.
  • Rim brakes aren't going anywhere soon and will be around for many years to come. You will have a much better choice of wheels to buy on rim brakes and many a lot cheaper as you say you are not made of money. In dry weather rims last for years if looked after.
  • Rim brakes, only racer's in cross riders would benefit room disks on a road bike
  • Picking a 2nd bike at the moment too, and I'm going for discs, but that's because it's going to be used in bad weather, and on mucky roads. I'm mainly after the extra tyre clearance, the better braking and lack of rim wear will be bonuses. But with your criteria I can't see the point of going for discs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Rim brakes, only racer's in cross riders would benefit room disks on a road bike
    This is utter nonsense, but in this case rim brakes make sense.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Rim brakes, only racer's in cross riders would benefit room disks on a road bike

I wonder what Kittel was doing winning on them in the Tour? Or Matthews for that matter.

image.jpg
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    They ride what the sponsors tell them to.
  • The whole "Rim vs. Disc" braking war that is playing out on road bikes at the moment is funny at best, ridiculous at worst. As long as you can stop satisfactorily who cares? Both will be available for a long time to come so don't worry about it - pick whichever you like and go ride. It's a braking method, not a religion! :wink::D
    Getting better slowly, one crash at a time!
    Marin Hawk Hill 2 2018
    Kinesis Tripster AT, SRAM Apex
    Specialized Crossroads 2000
  • Matty2B wrote:
    It's a braking method, not a religion! :wink::D

The two things become one, when you realise you aren't going to stop in time, believe me... Personal experience. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Matty2B wrote:
    It's a braking method, not a religion! :wink::D

The two things become one, when you realise you aren't going to stop in time, believe me... Personal experience. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Thanks for the affirmative comments.

If I ever get a new winter or commuting bike that will have disk brakes. But that's not on the cards currently
  • Rim brakes, only racer's in cross riders would benefit room disks on a road bike

I wonder what Kittel was doing winning on them in the Tour? Or Matthews for that matter.

image.jpg

Selling bikes for their supplier. Given discs are less aero that bike in the photo finish nearly cost that win !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I have disc brakes on my hybrid, so am looking for disc brakes for my anticipated road bike purchase

I enjoy rides in (slightly) wet weather so it seems like a good choice

I will be mostly doing long-ish weekend rides so a sportive model with disc brakes is what I'm looking for