Can i/is it worth upgrading this bike?

MuddyV1
MuddyV1 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

I'm new to mountain biking and originally got into it for fitness but iv fallen in love with trail videos and have been on a couple of blue and red trails and loved it!

Anyway, the bike I have is pretty... Rubbish! And unfortunately I'm not going to be in a position to buy a new bike for at LEAST 6 months!

I'm wondering if in the mean time I'm able to change some things on my bike so that it's at least a tad better.

The issues I have with this bike is that the forks have about 30mm of travel and don't really spring back too easy, the brakes are old school V brakes and the gears are a bit chompy.

For the sake of money I can live with the gears the way they are if it's going to be expensive, it's mainly the forks and brakes I want t to get sorted.

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/images/raleigh_trail_xc24_mountain_bike.jpg

Its a Raleigh Trail XC 24

So, is it worth trying to modify this at all or just wait it out until I can buy a new bike?

Is it even possible to change things out on this bike? How do I know what sizes would fit it if I can?

Thanks for any help and advice :)

Thanks
James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't waste your time or money, just start saving.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's worth upgrading only because it will motivate you to learn more about how bikes are built and how to maintain them. In the end it became my hobby and I still got tonnes to learn. If you just want to ride then yes it will be a waste of time and money.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Don't waste your time or money, just start saving.

Yep, good advice.
    Save your cash and watch videos to keep motivated. Upgrading this bike will be throwing money away.
  • cooldad
    jsisidore wrote:
    It's worth upgrading only because it will motivate you to learn more about how bikes are built and how to maintain them. In the end it became my hobby and I still got tonnes to learn. If you just want to ride then yes it will be a waste of time and money.

It's pointless chucking money at a BSO. It will always be a POS. New forks will cost more than the bike is worth. A lot more. And that's just a start. The only decent part is the air in the tyres. Seriously.

Judging from the pic (my eyes are old) it's got 24" wheels as well.

Save and get something rideable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with CD, anything spent is throwing good money after bad, possible exceptions being grips, saddle and pedals which you could swap onto a newer bike if you got good quality ones. The same applies to tyres if it's a 26".
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice!

I won't bother upgrading it.

The suspension sometimes sticks a bit, has anyone got any advice as to what I can do to reduce this?
  • cooldad
    Take the forks to bits and have a look/clean them up. But I suspect they'll be rusty and corroded inside.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools