casette spacer quandary

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
hello all

currently running ultegra 10speed gear on a cube gtc race using the original fulcrum 5 wheels it came with

i am slowly upgrading to 11 speed and can lay my hands on a set of mavic ksyrium elite s (lightly used, circa 150 miles and a 2015 model). The mavic hubs cover the range of shimano cassettes with the appropriate spacer

assuming i have no spacers at all am i right in thinking i need a shimano 1mm then a mavic 1.85mm?

and if so, do they both go on the hub then cassette and tighten?

thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If the freehub is 11 speed it should have come with a 1.85mm spacer as standard, to which you would add the 1mm spacer that came with your 10speed CS-6700 cassette. So the answer to your question is yes, both spacers then cassette and lockring.
  • For 10 speed both spacers, for 11 speed just the skinny shimano spacer. No probs either way.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    dimmockg wrote:
    i am slowly upgrading to 11 speed ...

Sorry for the OT question, but how can you upgrade to 11sp "slowly"? You'll need to change at once the rear derrailleur, the cassette (obviously) and the right STI, right? Then you need an 11sp chain. Can you still run your old 10sp chainring on an 11sp chain? This bit isn't obvious to me when looking at the compatibility charts.

My vested interest in this case would be swapping Tiagra 4700 parts with 105 5800 as they die, but it seems to me my bike will be stuck with Tiagra for a long long time. Other than the brakes, of course.
  • The chainsets are interchangeable - probably the part with least issues! I've got an 11 speed 5800 chainet on an old 10 speed 5600 105 build winter bike and it works like it was meant to be there. I just had to tweak the top and bottom limit screws a tiny bit when putting it on the first time.