ToB Stage 1: Edinburgh to Kelso 190km *Spoliers*

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
edited September 2017 in Pro race
No spoiler thread?

More going on in this than la vuelta at the moment - EBH just attacked over the KOM. Lots of splits, although I still think it'll come back together.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    And just as I press post it's come back together. Gaviria marking moves, a CCC trying to get off the front. Gaviria looks good.
  • bobmcstuff
    Think Ewen took it, but it was very very close. EBH nearly had a big off on the line as his back wheel slid out (cobbled)

Looked slightly downhill, pretty silly idea for a bunch sprint.
  • Was reasonably entertaining - horrible finish though, especially placing the line right on the corner so that everyone had to start turning before the actual finish. Felt like EBH might have taken it without having to swerve to his left.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Star studded sprinter field, at least compared to the Vuelta. Good field in general.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Tight finish, Biggles did amazingly well not to go down with his back wheels going out right and then out left - cost him the win though.
  • Ridiculous placing of line
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Ridiculous placing of line
    Scotland? I agree.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Ridiculous placing of line

I think they let the Vuelta director loose on the course design. The first intermediate sprint line was on a corner, one of the KoMs was about 20m after a cattle grid so they had to sprint out of the saddle over the grid and then the final gallop on cobbles. The last 500m in Cheltenham could be fun if there's a big group too, straight but very narrow through a pedestrianised area.

Highlights show was terrible, unusual for ITV who usually pull together decent highlights. Good close finish though, thought the bumpy sprint would have suited Ewan less than anyone.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    What's the story with Team Wiggins in this race? I saw a comment by someone I know that they weren't going to be there and got the impression it was unexpected. Were they just not invited or has something happened to the team?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Today was the first time I've seen the European Champion's jersey in a non-TT race. It doesn't really stand out much. But I suppose it will be enough for Kristoff to have 'Remoaner' and 'Accept the will of the people' screamed at him in certain backwaters.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    inseine wrote:
    Star studded sprinter field, at least compared to the Vuelta. Good field in general.
    Worlds prep, presumably?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Today was the first time I've seen the European Champion's jersey in a non-TT race. It doesn't really stand out much. But I suppose it will be enough for Kristoff to have 'Remoaner' and 'Accept the will of the people' screamed at him in certain backwaters.

Likely to be calling for Norway to join the exodus from the EU.
  • Being more positive though road closures looked good and spectacular scenery and the field definitely up a notch and look keen
  • I see that only Groenewegen failed to make the sprint selection.
    What's up with him I wonder?
    He usually goes well in the UK.

This edition is really terrible.
    Did they really knock this feeble affair out in order to cater for those Bergen bound?
    If so, why could they not include one tough stage, especially as there is a 16km ITT?
    I hope this isn't going to become the rational.
    Normally, I would watch, but I can't be arsed.
    Whole stage coverage of 7 sprint stages isn't going to do the race any favours.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Norway's not in the EU :P
  • I see that only Groenewegen failed to make the sprint selection.

This edition is really terrible.
    Did they really knock this feeble affair out in order to cater for those Bergen bound?
    If so, why could they not include one tough stage, especially as there is a 16km ITT?
    I hope this isn't going to become the rational.
    Normally, I would watch, but I can't be arsed.
    Whole stage coverage of 7 sprint stages isn't going to do the race any favours.

Absolute pony of a route, agreed
  • RichN95 wrote:

Norway's not in the EU :P

You'll be telling me they are going to pull out of the Euro too next.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    I see that only Groenewegen failed to make the sprint selection.

DGPOBtAXcAE53ib.jpg:large
  • St 2 finish: Viviani has every reason to be aggrieved, Biggles was all over the place in that sprint. Cant see him keeping that win