Cree XML 8x disassembly?

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a CREE XML 8x and it's DOA.

When it's all charged up and switched on (green light on) it will flash if you tap the casing - something loose?

It's more hassle than worth (and postage) to send back so fancy taking it apart and seeing if I can fix the loose connection.

I've got the lens off and desoldered the + - wires on the front of the unit but cannot for the life of me work out how to get the rest of it apart.

Any experience with this please?

36981751875_4dcd5f80ef_b.jpg

36981750705_8f1d01b0e8_b.jpg

Comments

• munzy
    I was hoping that was it but no luck
    Removed the mount and screw but it's still not moving - I thought there may be a grub screw or similar at the top of/inside the thread but no.
    Could the board with the lights be glued in place? (there is a white "gluey" looking line around the circumference of the board)
  • munzy
    As it was only a cheap light and I can re use the batteries I resulted to brute force... I had to see how the bugger went together.

You were right oxoman, the board was glued on - I had tried heating it with a hairdryer and it still wouldn't budge. Even when I had a thin flat screwdriver/knife trying to flip it out, it was glued in so tight that all that happened was chipping the board :(

The original problem seems to have been a long solid wire coming from the copper coil thing(!) was not soldered properly to the top of that small black chip/mosfet with the 3 pins on the right.

Not sure how I'd get one apart if the need arises again...

Thanks for the help anyway guys :)

36857302001_180c0800a9_b.jpg
  • munzy
    I'm afraid the PCB was a casualty of war... :(
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Shame. These led emitters generate quite a bit of heat so I would expect the Pcb to have a metal heatsink so would need a very good thermal contact with the alloy body. The glue is likely to be metal loaded.

Annoying that such a minor thing has rendered it useless.