Map:
CARTE.jpg

Profile:
PROFIL.png

Climb:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Final Kms:
PROFILKMS.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    A route that suits sky, and froome had been strong all race so I see no reason he doesn't take more time here. Even with a gammy knee.

Edit: but I'll go with the break to take the stage win
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    Does anyone expect attempts by the top 10 riders to positively gain time today with an even tougher day or will they just ride a steady, hard pace and seen if anyone else cracks? I can't see any meaningful attacks and probably a stage for one of the climbers who have shipped a lot of time already.

Trying to work out the best way to watch today and tomorrow as I no longer have Eurosport in my Sky bundle but want to watch on a big screen.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Does anyone expect attempts by the top 10 riders to positively gain time today with an even tougher day or will they just ride a steady, hard pace and seen if anyone else cracks?
    I can't see any meaningful attacks and probably a stage for one of the climbers who have shipped a lot of time already..
    Your theory suggests a day for Atapuma or Majka, maybe even Bardet. But I think there are a couple of other factors which might mean that isn’t the case.
    On the one hand, the profile suits Lopez and Zacharin.
    And on the other hand, the more active teams (QST) and riders (Contador, Nibali) will surely want to test Froome to see what condition he’s in with his injuries. And if Froome s able to counter, showing no sign of problems, it might then come down to Lopez, Zacharin, Froome and Nibali.
  • Botd: Villella, Costa, Denifl, Majka, de Clercq, Mate, Konrad, Gougeard, S. Clarke, Vilela have 3'- 45" over the peloton.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Majka and his fellow escapees continue to augment their advantage at the head of the race. They now have five minutes in hand on the peloton, which is still being led by Team Sky.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Rui Costa and company are headed towards Lucena and continue to add small gains to their buffer over the peloton. The gap now stands at 5:45.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Does anyone expect attempts by the top 10 riders to positively gain time today with an even tougher day or will they just ride a steady, hard pace and seen if anyone else cracks?
    I can't see any meaningful attacks and probably a stage for one of the climbers who have shipped a lot of time already..
    Your theory suggests a day for Atapuma or Majka, maybe even Bardet. But I think there are a couple of other factors which might mean that isn’t the case.
    On the one hand, the profile suits Lopez and Zacharin.
    And on the other hand, the more active teams (QST) and riders (Contador, Nibali) will surely want to test Froome to see what condition he’s in with his injuries. And if Froome s able to counter, showing no sign of problems, it might then come down to Lopez, Zacharin, Froome and Nibali.
    That makes sense as the odds on PaddyPower this morning had Majka, Bardet and Froome on equal best odds.

Obviously with Majka in the break his odds will have shortened considerably.

I went for Froome in PTP on the basis I thought if the GC group were going to take the win he will at least place highly. But if someone like Majka or Bardet arrive with the GC group they could nip away and take it as they won't be marked so closely.
  • Live coverage has started and they are on the first climb, which is a 3rd cat.
    Going to be a long afternoon by the looks.
  • Trek, Bahrain to the front.
    Somebody smells blood.
    This gonna be epic!
  • Bloody hell. That is ridiculously steep.
    A pity Eurosport are on an ad break.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    At least the 'app' allows for multiple device logins again... watched it thru the town with well behaved townsfolk on the Vuelta 'feed' .
  • Aru looks truly awful on a bike.
  • Majka takes it. Nibs get seconds (3rd bonus +1 on line?)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Kirby's commentary is unbelievably shite. I was trying to fix a washing machine while half watching, he was going on about Contador and Nibali attacking but made no mention of Froome, so I assumed Froome had been dropped or wasn't on - I look round and he's right there.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited September 2017
    Net gain of 4 seconds to Nibali as Froome reverts to his usual Vuelta mode of getting dropped but riding his own race knowing they will come back.
    Absolutely pathetic attitude by Contador today: refusing to take a turn from Nibali. Had he been prepared to do a share of the work, both could have benefited.
    Lopez now looks the strongest Colombian climber in the race.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Kirby's commentary is unbelievably shite.

At the risk of being called a hater, he is the sole reason why I'm not watching much of the coverage and swapping to Sporza for stage finales.
  • Nope N&F same time. Contador +6, Chavez +26, Aru + 32, lady garden +1:12
  • Nope N&F same time. Contador +6, Chavez +26, Aru + 32, lady garden +1:12

3rd place bonus seconds?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Kirby's commentary is unbelievably shite.

At the risk of being called a hater, he is the sole reason why I'm not watching much of the coverage and swapping to Sporza for stage finales.

I've only really been watching ITV highlights for this very reason. Watched a bit yesterday, fair chunk today (waiting for plaster to go off). Yesterday I made the mistake of not muting the commentary, on mute all day today.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    edited September 2017
    Nope N&F same time. Contador +6, Chavez +26, Aru + 32, lady garden +1:12

3rd place bonus seconds?

Yes, sorry, those are times across the line, and timed from N/F crossing the line.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    #

Rider Name (Country) Team

Result

1 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 4:42:10
    2 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:00:27
    3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:31
    4 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
    5 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin
    6 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team Sunweb
    7 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:37
    8 Wout Poels (Ned) Team Sky 0:00:46
    9 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-Scott 0:00:57
    10 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:03
  • Aru looks truly awful on a bike.

I was watching it with my 8 year old son, and even he commented on how terrible he looked
  • I got moist over this stage today
  • i think Eurosport commentary is excellent. Miserable tossers
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    Froome just letting the others batter themselves and then rides them down with very little effort. Even admitted he has an eye on tomorrow. Poels riding back into form but Moscon unusually not up there, possibly told to save a bit for tomorrow as well?