29er frame

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
This is kind of what I want
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROO29VD/ ... reviewstab
but the paint job is not the best.
Anyone knows shops that sell good frames?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?

So you want a steel? Straight 1 1/8 headtube (so no tapered steerer)?

A Solaris? https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris (more flexible headtube though).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chromoly steel is a natural choice for hardtails right? Tapered can work with the standard fork I think.
    The bike in the link is exactly what I want but I reckon it is above my budget. Reason I'm looking for another frame is I can't fit a 100mm dropper seatpost on my frame, also the closest mech hanger to what I've got I have to order from china...
  • The Rookie
    No, cromolly is not the natural choice for a hardtail, you need to set your priorities and get the right frame for that.

Swapping a frame to fit a dropper on an XC bike seems a bit lopsided, but that's clearly a personal choice.

BETD do most hangers, or just buy a spare in advance!

So the Solaris is over budget....but there is a big gap from that to the Inbred, so the budget is?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clearly over budget. If I would buy a new bike it would be around 600. If a new frame around 200. Inbred seems like a decent frame, it's just that the color is off.

I thought chromoly is more flexible that aluminium thus more preferred for bumpy rides.

Well, I call it XC, but what it really is do it all bike, I both ride blue trails on it and commute to work. I live in the city and use it for commuting so I don't think all mountain is what I need. Anyway, I have a weak lower back so... need more cushion.

The ones from china still do not fit properly, have to file them, why should I go through all that. If I had a popular frame it could be a cinch to find a new hanger.
  • The Rookie
    With the advent of the CEN test steel frames have got stiffer while aluminium frames have continued to improve, there is practically noting to choose between them and by far and away the biggest amount of give is in the tyres.

There is also a lot more choice in alloy frames as well, quality steel you'll be paying circa £400 minimum.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    With the advent of the CEN test steel frames have got stiffer while aluminium frames have continued to improve, there is practically noting to choose between them and by far and away the biggest amount of give is in the tyres.

There is also a lot more choice in alloy frames as well, quality steel you'll be paying circa £400 minimum.
    CEN test?
    Tyres for sure... grip aside would bigger tyres on a 27.5 be more comfortable comparing with 29er standard 2.1 tyres? And what about speed?
  • The Rookie
    The standard European test for frame durability.

For best comfort about. 29x3 like the Chopacumbra, not going to be cheap though.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    With that kind of budget you will have to make some compromises, not being too keen on the paint job is not a bad compromise.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    With that kind of budget you will have to make some compromises, not being too keen on the paint job is not a bad compromise.
    It's not amazing either so no compromise. I might put this project on hold till springtime, maybe something will turn up on ebay.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The standard European test for frame durability.

For best comfort about. 29x3 like the Chopacumbra, not going to be cheap though.
    29+ that is like 30... awesome!
  • Which frame you think would be lighter, and more... versatile
    4130 chromoly steel
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO29VD/o ... al-dropout

or
    6066-T6 aluminium
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ra ... e-EV294343
  • Impossible to answer without weighing them, you don't know how thick the tubes are and if they are butted and where.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pinnacle has a sensible seat tube size if you ever want a dropper post
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Pinnacle has a sensible seat tube size if you ever want a dropper post
    I need to check that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited September 2017
    Knock yourself out...

AFAIK the only decent one is a Thompson Elite - around £300
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez wrote:
    Impossible to answer without weighing them, you don't know how thick the tubes are and if they are butted and where.
    butted but where I don't know, imo the manufacturer should provide full info