HEAVY BLOKE - NEW WHEELS

Oldweasel
Oldweasel Posts: 3
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
HI

I have had ny Fulcrum R3's for 10 years and do a lot of miles. They have been changed from a BMC carbon to a Condor steel. I feel i need something new and have been looking at some deep rim carbon. I am no climber but i feel i am ok on the flat. that said i do a fair few hills and get up to dartmoor pretty regularly. i am about 90 kgs..... I have rad a fair few threads on here. Any ideas...budget up to £400. I find it quite hard to pay list and buy new. My fulcrum 3's were second hand and are still good!

oh also clinchers or tubes?

thanks

Comments

• forget carbon at that price. Carbon rims are more expensive to produce than alloy so a carbon rimmed wheelset will skimp somewhere if priced at £400. there are a number but all online from china or ebay while there is inherantly nothing wrong in that you may be better of with a conventional wheelset from the point of view of spares availabily. Also 90kg is not heavy where id you get that idea from.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • many thanks for that.....do you have any thoughts on which are a good value quick wheel?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A quick wheel is any wheel on a bike with a quick rider. There are loads of decent wheels in the 'up to £400' bracket, just have a look around and pick one you like the look of. The Zonda C17 would be good (a little extra volume which is nice when paired with 25s, if your frameset can take it). Failing that, Hunt, Fulcrum, etc.

The debate on tubs/clinchers would go to 40 pages and still not reach a conclusion. In the days of good tubeless options, I don't quite see the need for tubs...in fact personally (outside the pro peleton) I don't get tubs full stop but many will argue the opposite. However, there are some lovely clincher tyres, just make sure you get the right width and not too much pressure.
  • Several of the guys your size end up going for Wagon Wheels, but not sure if that's what you're after ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    type:epyt wrote:
    Several of the guys your size end up going for Wagon Wheels, but not sure if that's what you're after ...

Why do you assume he's overweight??
    Are you this rude in real life or just on the internet?
  • type:epyt wrote:
    Several of the guys your size end up going for Wagon Wheels, but not sure if that's what you're after ...

Prick
  • For £400 have you had a look at hunt wheels, https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-24wide
  • Oldweasel wrote:
    I feel i need something new and have been looking at some deep rim carbon....

My fulcrum 3's were second hand and are still good!

For £400 I don't think you're going to get anything better than a set of Fulcrum 3s that are still in working order. Double your budget and you can get some wheels that might feel like an improvement, but if that's not an option I'd put the money to one side and save it for when the Fulcrums die, then replace them with something similar, like Zondas or another set of 3s, or go for basic handbuilts.

I'd be a bit wary of any brand new deep rim carbon wheels at this price!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,m about the same as you and currently run Fulcrum Racing Quattro they are super and very easy to adjust if you get any play in them.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura