Brake Cable Outer Trek 4100

simonig10
simonig10 Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I am in the process of building up an old Trek 4100 for my son and I have a problem with the outer brake housing for the rear brake. 3 cables run along the top tube. 2 are for the shifters and have sections of outer ending in ferrules giving an exposed cable along the top tube. The brake cable seems like it sits in a outer housing all the way from lever to the brake assembly. the lugs on the top frame tube look really big and a 5mm outer is a rattling good fit. Even a 6mm will not be great. Am I missing some parts that hold the cable tight in the lugs or is a liberal amount of tape required.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The frame is designed to take a hose, you can get small plastic inserts that go round the cable and push into the retainer to hold it tight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I have managed to find them for sale in China and have ordered a few.