Forks making unusual noise cant work it out

Cb93
Cb93 Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Im hoping to get some advice on my forks.

I have a set of Rockshox Pike 327 (not the best model, i know) i aquired them off a friend at work, so dont really know the history of them, although he did say they could do with a service.

Anyway, i fitted them to bike and when out riding, ive noticed and unusual noise on rebound, almost like a squelching, bubbling sound, also when compressed it feels like it 'hits a stump' at about halfway.

Is this because they are in need of a service, or could this be a bigger problem.

Any help/info is much appreciated

TIA.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squelching sound could just be the rebound damping, but hitting a stump?
    I'd give them back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cb93
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd give them back.

I havent paid for them which is a plus.
    They were just sat in his shed and said i could have them.

Im hoping they can be sorted. But lets say for arguments sake that all internal parts need relplacing, whats sort of price would i be looking at?
    Im just trying a cheaper sloution as i can afford a new set at the momeny

Thanks.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Cb93 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd give them back.

I havent paid for them which is a plus.
    They were just sat in his shed and said i could have them.

Im hoping they can be sorted. But lets say for arguments sake that all internal parts need relplacing, whats sort of price would i be looking at?
    Im just trying a cheaper sloution as i can afford a new set at the momeny

Thanks.
    A service is around £100 and they'll usually replace some of the smaller parts if needed but not a complete damper.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look on youtube at a basic lower lube service and do that, very easy and it will give you some ideas.

If any internal parts need replacing its going to start at £50 and go over £100 very quickly! (The list price for the uppers on my forks is in excess of £500).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The rebound noise is probably just the damper working and is fine. Not sure about the other issue. It's a really simple fork, not a lot going on inside there. I'd strip them and give them a service, not a difficult job.
  • Cb93
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Think im going to strip them down and go from there.
    Looks easy enough :P