Build-a-bike

fredzefisher
fredzefisher Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Good afternoon everyone!

Our family have just returned from Morzine (3rd visit to the Alps) and my 10yo and 11yo loved it, hurtling down the blues on hardtails provided by the company we went with. We are now home and the bug has bitten...deep. My youngest has decided he wants a full suspension bike for taking out to the Alps next year but I have advised against getting a cheapie from the large bike company as they will not be able to handle the ride. I have suggested pooling b'day/xmas monies and buying a decent 2nd hand frame off the auction site and then slowly buying all the bits required to build his own. Do readers think this is a wise option or not? I have done all the riding with them, although I am gnarled rather than gnarly and I know the bikes would need to be above the standard. He is growing but perhaps a frame a few sizes too large would suit him to grow into. Of course he wants a Santa Cruz.......!
I am not a mech at all but have mates who could help with the build..

Your advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks
Fredzefisher

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Definitely don't buy him one 'to grow into' as it won't fit now and will seriously hamper his enjoyment, your best option would be keeping a look out on Ebay and Facebook selling groups to find a second hand complete that someone else has grown out of it. Keep it well maintained and you'll be able to sell it on when he grows out of it without loosing much (if any) money.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If agree sort of, get him a decent enough second hand bike now, upgrade it as you go and as he grows out of it you can do a reframe into a better bigger frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    A few sizes too big is too big.

Unless something weird happens you can expect both to grow so in 3 years time it's time for another bike. So budget wisely, best go for s/has so there is less depreciation when it comes to selling