Mavic SLS rubbing noise

MrSim1
MrSim1 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in Road general
Hi all new to the forum and would like some advice on the below issue.

I have a set of Mavic cosmic sls and when pedalling I have a rubbing noise similar to the pad rubbing on the rim. when I free wheel it stops when I then start to pedal again it starts.

its not the brake pad its not rubbing anywhere else, I don't think its the spokes rubbing or either the Fearing!

I don't know what it could be but its bloody annoying lol any ideas?

regards

Comments

• I had exactly the same problem with the same wheels. Pretty sure it's NOT the squeal of death, as that happens when you stop pedalling. What seems to have stopped it for now is readjusting the bearing preload cap on the back wheel and cleaning/lubing the spokes where they cross and touch each other.
    I have a feeling this hasn't solved the problem tho as I have done few miles on my road bike lately. I would also be interested in other answers to this.
    I have even invested in a hub doctor bearing to replace the white bushing in the freehub as this is known to cause issues but I haven't got round to doing that yet.

Wouldn't this be better off in the workshop forum?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Preload cap too tight. Undo-loosen-redo
    left the forum March 2023
  • MrSim1
    MrSim1 Posts: 5
    the route cause was that 3 spokes were looser than the rest.... funny how those 3 went ping when trying to resolve, new spokes on order with LBS and hopefully once repaired all should be well!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    MrSim1 wrote:
    the route cause was that 3 spokes were looser than the rest.... funny how those 3 went ping when trying to resolve, new spokes on order with LBS and hopefully once repaired all should be well!

All three? Wow...
    left the forum March 2023
  • 3 new spokes wheel trued up and its all good!!
    now a lovely set of wheels! :D