Do I need a Campagnolo cassette?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking at a Campagnolo groupset but want to use my new Mavic Ksyrium Pro Wheelset. The wheels have a Shimano free hub and 11 speed Ultegra cassette.

After reading up I thought I would need to buy a Mavic Campagnolo freehub and swap them over but I now understand I can run the wheels with the Ultegra cassette on an Athena or Potenza drive train without any issues. Is this correct?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Correct
    left the forum March 2023
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    No problem. I'm doing similar but the other way round. Campag Chorus 11 speed cassette on an otherwise Ultegra 11 speed group set with no problems at all.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Everyone says not.

However I have a new Potenza setup like you and have a new 105 Cassette and chain and I've not yet been able to get it to change properly across all gears. I have an issue in the middle of the cassette. I'll check back here if I get it working right.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I have 11 speed Campagnolo SR groupset, but the winter wheels have an 11 speed Ultegra cassette. They work together with no problems at all.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The shifting issues davidof might be due to the rear mech needing the screw that adjusts the distance between the top jockey wheel and the cassette winding in or a out a bit. 5-7mm is what clearance you need. Other than that a bent hanger.

Campagnolo of course say dont use a shimano cassette with campag drivetrain but in reality the difference in the spacing is so small over the width of the cassette that there is no real world issue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • davidof
    The shifting issues davidof might be due to the rear mech needing the screw that adjusts the distance between the top jockey wheel and the cassette winding in or a out a bit. 5-7mm is what clearance you need. Other than that a bent hanger.

Campagnolo of course say dont use a shimano cassette with campag drivetrain but in reality the difference in the spacing is so small over the width of the cassette that there is no real world issue.

I'm going to look at it in more detail and I'll get back to you. So far it is around 3/4 that it is skipping.
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    Ok thanks for the tips.

B screw needed screwing in to bring the mech closer to the cassette
    Cable was mis-routed in the clamp screw

So to confirm Shimano 105 11 sp 11x32 running ok with Potenza 2018 Mech.
    Instagramme