Chain vibrates on highest gear

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Once I changed to 1x8 drivetrain I noticed that on the highest gear (small sprocket)(42x11) there is a vibration, I can feel it and see it too, it looks like the chain is slightly wobbling but there is no clicking noise as everything is aligned. All parts are very new and compatible, minimum wear if any. The wheels are not very true... which annoys me, but I don't think it would cause the vibration. It feels as though the crankset, the cassette and the derailleur are not compatible with each other :?
One thing I noticed is that the crankset could've been slightly moved outside. I mean how do those 1x11 drivetrains work, does the frame has a special geometry to allow it? It would've been impossible on my frame even if the the space between dropouts could accommodate an 11 gear cassette.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it can fit an 8 it can fit an 11. The cassettes are the same overall width.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    As for 'wobbling', without knowing what the bits are, and what you've done, who can say?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    If it can fit an 8 it can fit an 11. The cassettes are the same overall width.
    Erm no, on an 11 speed the largest sprocket overhangs the hub and its wider than a 10-8 speed cassette despite fitting the same freehub. Not that it's relevant to the issue here, there should be no compatibility issues, I'd have a look at the freehub bearings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    OK, fits on freehub....
    And yes, irrelevant anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • If 11 ans 8 are same width that means spacers and the chain are narrower?
  • cooldad
    Yep.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools