Cutting Seat Post?

Robert.eccleston
Robert.eccleston Posts: 8
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all!

I have a cube attention and stupidly went for a 19" frame. Too big for me basically.

So i wanted to lower the seat, however found that i couldn't lower it all the way. There is a good 12/13 CM that won't go down. I did take pictures however don't know how to upload them on here.

So the issue i have is this, i can either cut about 10cm off the seat post. OR, the reason it won't go further down is because of the bottle mount holes on the frame. The screw holes go into the frame not letting the seat post go any further down.

So the OR is, can i punch/pull/snap or whatever that part out?

Cheers!

Comments

• Hi all!

I have a cube attention and stupidly went for a 19" frame. Too big for me basically.

So i wanted to lower the seat, however found that i couldn't lower it all the way. There is a good 12/13 CM that won't go down. I did take pictures however don't know how to upload them on here.

So the issue i have is this, i can either cut about 10cm off the seat post. OR, the reason it won't go further down is because of the bottle mount holes on the frame. The screw holes go into the frame not letting the seat post go any further down.

So the OR is, can i punch/pull/snap or whatever that part out?

Cheers!

If you are going to cut it, cut it straight. If you are considering just cutting out a slot where the bolts are then you are making the rest of the section useless anyway so why bother? Plus a crack could easily appear and works its way up the post making the rest of it dangerous.

Get a hacksaw with a 51 or 61 tpi blade and tape up the post where you intend cutting it. Once cut sand down the edges , this is where it can splinter. If you cut a slot these splinters are where cracks and delamination occurs. Of course this is carbon posts. If you do an Alu post then the problems still remain and trying to snap or cut the post in a slot will cause no end of issues.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you use the bottle mount there ? If not just take out the screws. Will that work for you?
  • cougie wrote:
    Do you use the bottle mount there ? If not just take out the screws. Will that work for you?

The screws will protrude inside. The threaded outer parts are may be brazed inside the frame. So even with no screws in the outer threaded part still obstruct the post.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Cutting the post down is the proper way to do it really.
    Seat posts need to have a minimum amount of tube in the frame for safety though, so do some measuring and just cut off as little as you can get away with and file down any rough or sharp edges.
  • Cheers all!

Took it to Halfords in the end. They agreed with what you are all saying, best way is to cut seat post.

As i have never done it before asked them what it would cost for them to do it.

They said for free! so couldn't argue there!

They have done it and re marked new maximum of how high the seat can go. Which is higher then i would ever use it anayway! so all is good!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Have a look at the handle bars too, if there's any sweep or rise, you might be able to rotate them a bit to shorten the reach. Or fit a shorter stem.

That said did the shop not size you up, or did you buy it online?
    Is it actually too big or does it just feel too big?

A rough guide to saddle height is that there should only be a very slight bend in the knee when the pedal is at the lowest point. And you should just about be able to fully straighten the leg if you place your foot further forward if the pedal axle is between the arch of your foot and the ball of your heel.

G69EA63.jpg
  • mattyfez wrote:
    Have a look at the handle bars too, if there's any sweep or rise, you might be able to rotate them a bit to shorten the reach. Or fit a shorter stem.

That said did the shop not size you up, or did you buy it online?
    Is it actually too big or does it just feel too big?

A rough guide to saddle height is that there should only be a very slight bend in the knee when the pedal is at the lowest point. And you should just about be able to fully straighten the leg if you place your foot further forward if the pedal axle is between the arch of your foot and the ball of your heel.

G69EA63.jpg

I got it online. I like big frames and the height was no issue for when using it to go work and back. However when I started going on some trails i really felt that lowering the seat would be beneficial.

Halfords has done that now anyway and it feels really nice. Can't wait to give it a proper go though!