Vuelta What do we think so far?

2»

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    i hardly think hes smashing it....

After today, Nibali is looking like the main threat, but do you think he can string together a series of days like today? Chaves looked completely washed out. Perhaps it was the cold, perhaps not. At present rate and avoiding mishap, Froome will be at least 3 minutes up on 2nd, don't you think?
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2017
    I think next Saturday and Sunday's big mountain top finishes will be telling stages. Froome knows he has the rest day and then the ITT on Tuesday so if he can hold or even extend his lead over Nibali by the rest day, I'm sure he will smash it in the time trial to give himself a cushion for the rest of the race. He knows he will then only have to mark Nibali in the mountain stages to come.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    What's up with Kruijswijk? Was his Giro last year a complete fluke? Would have expected him to show a bit more at least in any one GT this year. Instead he is doing his best Zubeldia impression.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    M.R.M. wrote:
    What's up with Kruijswijk? Was his Giro last year a complete fluke? Would have expected him to show a bit more at least in any one GT this year. Instead he is doing his best Zubeldia impression.

Doesn't like it short & steep.

At all.

Treat him like a diesel who doesn't slow down as much as everyone else does.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Assuming Froome avoids misfortune or a real collapse I'd like to see Contador sneak onto the podium which would be a great result after the time he lost early on.

Nibali is perhaps showing he is more of a worthy winner of 4 Grand Tours than he sometimes gets credit for too - now I've said that he'll probably lose 10 minutes to tomorrow.

As for what I think of the race so far - given that one rider appears in control I think it's been great. I wish the Giro would get back to trying to top their previous years extreme parcours and leave the sensible balanced route to the Tour - the Vuelta is showing that it can work well.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]