Changing stem to accommodate new bars!

Maymo
Maymo Posts: 10
edited September 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I am considering changing to a shorter stem because the cables and hoses are too short for my new bars.
I have a Cube GTC Reaction hardtail with a 100mm travel fork. I use it mostly for forest tracks, and an occasional trail center. I have developed arthritis in my thumbs and find I'm putting too much weight on my hands, I need to shift my riding position to a more upright position and alter the angle of my hands. I know that this is a compromise and not an ideal MTB riding position but if it can keep me riding then it's worth the effort. After much research have bought some Mary bars from On-one which is a riser bar with hand position angled backwards, I have also got some ergonomic grips. The trouble now is that my gear cables and brake hoses are too short, probably only a couple of CMs. My initial thoughts were to change all the cables and hoses but now am considering just changing the stem and hoping that the cables will reach. The stem is 110mm and l am thinking of going for around a 60mm. How much difference will this make to the handling of the bike, will it matter and is this a good idea?

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    It does sound like a long stem, a shorter stem is probably the easiest fix.

I suppose you just need to consider how it will affect reach and your general posture, shorter stems are more fashionable at the moment, but will make the steering more quick and snapy, that said of you've put wider bars on, the effects will be negated a bit.

I'd give it a try, maybe buy a second hand shorter stem, but also bear in mind it's not just stem length, some are straight and some have varying degrees of rise.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Fitting new gear cables and outers (you only need to replace the one exiting the levers) is cheap and easy.

Refitting brake hoses is more complicated due to having to bleed them afterwards.

Try a shorter stem, 90mm and then go shorter.
    110 to 60 is a big change and may affect the handling in a not good way.