Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

La Vuelta 2017 - Stage 8

hypsterhypster Posts: 1,183
edited August 2017 in Pro race
What no Vuelta thread today on such a potentially decisive stage? I came back from a long ride today expecting to catch up on events and nothing! Froome took time on all his GC rivals aided by Bertie's attack again it seems.

If anyone's interested here's the result anyway:-

Stage 8 Results
FRA 1 ALAPHILIPPE, Julian (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) 4:37:55
SLO 2 POLANC, Jan (UAE TEAM EMIRATES) + 2
POL 3 MAJKA, Rafal (BORA - HANSGROHE)
BEL 4 PAUWELS, Serge (DIMENSION DATA) + 26
POR 5 OLIVEIRA, Nelson (MOVISTAR) + 28
NED 6 KREDER, Michel (AQUA BLUE SPORT) + 32
BEL 7 MONFORT, Maxime (LOTTO SOUDAL)
BEL 8 DE CLERCQ, Bart (LOTTO SOUDAL) + 34
ESP 9 LOSADA ALGUACIL, Alberto (KATUSHA ALPECIN) + 37
GER 10 BUCHMANN, Emanuel (BORA - HANSGROHE) + 1:04
NED 11 OLIVIER, Daan (LOTTO NL - JUMBO) + 1:06
BEL 12 VLIEGEN, Loïc (BMC RACING) + 1:17
ESP 13 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TREK - SEGAFREDO) + 1:27
GBR 14 FROOME, Christopher (SKY)
ESP 15 HERNANDEZ BLAZQUEZ, Jesus (TREK - SEGAFREDO)
ITA 16 NIBALI, Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA) + 1:44
ITA 17 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA)
RUS 18 ZAKARIN, Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN)
NED 19 POELS, Wout (SKY)
COL 20 CHAVES RUBIO, Jhoan Esteban (ORICA - SCOTT)
RUS 21 CHERNETSKI, Sergei (ASTANA) + 1:52
FRA 22 CHEVRIER, Clement (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 1:55
GBR 23 YATES, Adam (ORICA - SCOTT)
CAN 24 WOODS, Michael (CANNONDALE DRAPAC)
NED 25 KELDERMAN, Wilco (SUNWEB)
IRL 26 ROCHE, Nicolas (BMC RACING)
ESP 27 DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO, David (QUICK - STEP FLOORS)
NED 28 OOMEN, Sam (SUNWEB)
USA 29 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING)
RSA 30 MEINTJES, Louis (UAE TEAM EMIRATES)

General Classification after Stage 8
GBR 1 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) 32:26:13
COL 2 CHAVES RUBIO, Jhoan Esteban (ORICA - SCOTT) + 28
IRL 3 ROCHE, Nicolas (BMC RACING) + 41
ITA 4 NIBALI, Vincenzo (BAHRAIN - MERIDA) + 53
USA 5 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 58
ITA 6 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA) + 1:06
ESP 7 DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO, David (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) + 1:08
GBR 8 YATES, Adam (ORICA - SCOTT) + 1:18
CAN 9 WOODS, Michael (CANNONDALE DRAPAC) + 1:41
RUS 10 ZAKARIN, Ilnur (KATUSHA ALPECIN) + 1:57
POR 11 OLIVEIRA, Nelson (MOVISTAR) + 2:03
NED 12 KELDERMAN, Wilco (SUNWEB) + 2:13
SLO 13 POLANC, Jan (UAE TEAM EMIRATES) + 2:29
GBR 14 YATES, Simon (ORICA - SCOTT) + 2:34
NED 15 POELS, Wout (SKY) + 2:40
NED 16 OOMEN, Sam (SUNWEB) + 2:42
ESP 17 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TREK - SEGAFREDO) + 3:10
NED 18 BOL, Jetse (MANZANA POSTOBON TEAM) + 3:12
RSA 19 MEINTJES, Louis (UAE TEAM EMIRATES) + 3:23
COL 20 LOPEZ MORENO, Miguel Angel (ASTANA) + 3:40
NED 21 KRUIJSWIJK, Steven (LOTTO NL - JUMBO) + 4:07
ESP 22 ANTON HERNANDEZ, Igor (DIMENSION DATA) + 4:29
POR 23 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (UAE TEAM EMIRATES) + 4:55

Posts

  • hypsterhypster Posts: 1,183
    Correction: I just watched a video on YouTube, it was actually Froome who attacked and Bertie was the only one to go with him.
  • knedlickyknedlicky Posts: 3,097
    hypster wrote:
    Froome took time on all his GC rivals aided by Bertie's attack again it seems.
    hypster wrote:
    Correction: it was actually Froome who attacked and Bertie was the only one to go with him.
    On the last climb, it was Simon Yates who attacked first, it came to nothing. Then Contador attacked, quickly joined by Woods, then soon after by Chaves, Froome and Nibali, while the rest were left behind. So Bertie did make a significant attack, and deserves credit. After not long Nibali fell back, so they were down to 4, and shortly afterwards is when Froome attacked.

    At the front, it was a great performance by Alaphilippe, and it was also good how assured and relaxed he came over in the interview. Bora must be feeling disappointed after doing everything right at first (i.e. Emu and Majka shredding the breakaway in the first half of the climb). Great spirit by Polanc too.

    When it was mainly a Majka-Alaphilippe dual going up the last climb, their battle reminded me a bit of that famous photo of Poulidor and Anquetil.
  • shipleyshipley Posts: 548
    I'm so pleased for Alaphilippe he so deserved it.

    He's a very exciting rider and gave a great interview on ES. He's full of character and ability and is becoming my new favourite.

    I do hope the 'Boremeister' from SKY reires soon. :oops:
  • hypsterhypster Posts: 1,183
    shipley wrote:
    I'm so pleased for Alaphilippe he so deserved it.

    He's a very exciting rider and gave a great interview on ES. He's full of character and ability and is becoming my new favourite.

    I do hope the 'Boremeister' from SKY reires soon. :oops:

    Yeah, let's give all the second-raters a chance!
  • shipleyshipley Posts: 548
    At least they have the decency to ride a variety of races instead of dominating a few.

    That does nothing for our sport
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,289
    shipley wrote:
    At least they have the decency to ride a variety of races instead of dominating a few.

    That does nothing for our sport
    Who are these riders of which you speak?

    That the Vuelta has such a good field these days has a great deal to do with Froome riding it after winning the Tour. Prior to him only Sastre had ever done so. Now riders who had a good Tour go to the Vuelta not just ones who had failed.

    As for Alaphilippe, didn't he wheelsuck Majka the whole way up the climb. It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't call it exciting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,459
    How anyone who watched today's stage can still refer to Froome as 'the Boremeister' is beyond me. I don't think I'll ever warm to him but he has been aggressive all race. It seems he did go into the Tour a bit undercooked but was still able to do enough. I'd say if any riders are boring it's the ones who are letting him ride away at pretty much every opportunity. It's just a shame Bertie had that one bad day.

    Another cracking stage. Alaphillipe was immense, Majka threw everything at him on the climb but couldn't break him. Polenc also put in a very brave ride.

    It's a shame I'm only able to watch highlights as it's been a good race so far.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,358
    ITV and the Cycling Podcast reporting rumours that Cannondale-Drapac may fold due to a sponsor pulling out.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,358
    And on today's stage, Majka knew what he had to do, but didn't have the legs to drop Alaphillipe. It was a foregone conclusion once they crested the climb together.

    Froome lay down a little marker on Contador, and dropped him over the top of the climb, just to show whose boss.
  • richaricha Posts: 2,020
    andyp wrote:
    ITV and the Cycling Podcast reporting rumours that Cannondale-Drapac may fold due to a sponsor pulling out.
    I'd expect a fair bit of interest in Woods if that was the case. I'd not heard much about him but he is do a good job marketing himself.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 11,841
    There's a lot to like in this year's Vuelta. Shame Contador had a bad day, but I suspect he will have another on bigger climbs. A bad day for Froome would liven things up.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 11,841
    Oh and thread creation on a mobile is a pain, so I was waiting for someone else to crack.
  • hypsterhypster Posts: 1,183
    Pross wrote:
    How anyone who watched today's stage can still refer to Froome as 'the Boremeister' is beyond me. I don't think I'll ever warm to him but he has been aggressive all race. It seems he did go into the Tour a bit undercooked but was still able to do enough. I'd say if any riders are boring it's the ones who are letting him ride away at pretty much every opportunity. It's just a shame Bertie had that one bad day.

    Another cracking stage. Alaphillipe was immense, Majka threw everything at him on the climb but couldn't break him. Polenc also put in a very brave ride.

    It's a shame I'm only able to watch highlights as it's been a good race so far.

    I just watched the ITV4 highlights.

    I agree, when Contador (et al) attacks it's exciting, when Froome does it, it's boring.

    Hats off to Alaphillipe taking the stage but he wasn't exactly setting the race alight was he? Following Majka practically to the line and then just jumping him to take the win, well...

    Imagine the howls of derision if any number of other riders had done that.
  • Watched the last 80k on Spanish TV, no Froome lover but you have to hand it to him, the Kenyan can turn a pedal.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    shipley wrote:
    At least they have the decency to ride a variety of races instead of dominating a few.

    That does nothing for our sport
    Who are these riders of which you speak?

    That the Vuelta has such a good field these days has a great deal to do with Froome riding it after winning the Tour. Prior to him only Sastre had ever done so. Now riders who had a good Tour go to the Vuelta not just ones who had failed.

    As for Alaphilippe, didn't he wheelsuck Majka the whole way up the climb. It doesn't bother me but I wouldn't call it exciting.

    Pross wrote:
    How anyone who watched today's stage can still refer to Froome as 'the Boremeister' is beyond me. I don't think I'll ever warm to him but he has been aggressive all race. It seems he did go into the Tour a bit undercooked but was still able to do enough. I'd say if any riders are boring it's the ones who are letting him ride away at pretty much every opportunity. It's just a shame Bertie had that one bad day.

    Another cracking stage. Alaphillipe was immense, Majka threw everything at him on the climb but couldn't break him. Polenc also put in a very brave ride.

    It's a shame I'm only able to watch highlights as it's been a good race so far.

    I've been trying to keep in the dark, so as to watch a bit of the race for when I got back off hols.
    Manage to see today's stage, though somewhat bleary eyed and have to say that I agree with the rest of South Wales.
    The only guy who made a determined attack and wasn't looking for another wheel to follow is not only boring, but does nothing for our sport?
    The only thing negative here is the way in which some folks are compelled to view and paint Froome's exploits.
    What the heck happened to Bertie on the road to Andorra? He looked his old self today.
    El Pistelero determined to go out with a bang but left a chamber empty.

    I see that the stage threads haven't been faring to well.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,289
    I've always been sceptical about the idea of motors in bikes, but the Trek rider who helped Contador get back to Froome definitely appears to have one.

    DIKtLPdXUAELWK-.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I've always been sceptical about the idea of motors in bikes, but the Trek rider who helped Contador get back to Froome definitely appears to have one.

    Ah, is that what happened? I don't know if it was ITV's cutting, or the fact I was trying to wrestle my daughters into bed (or at least give that impression whilst trying to watch the TV), but it looked like Froome had burst clear yet suddenly Contador was back on.

    I'm willing to put rather a large amount of money on Contador's fans whinging about the difference in style between Froome and Contador when they were riding together. The contrast is rather stark, to be fair.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,289
    I'm willing to put rather a large amount of money on Contador's fans whinging about the difference in style between Froome and Contador when they were riding together. The contrast is rather stark, to be fair.
    One looks like a cartoon character pushing a trolley on slippery floor and the other looks like a dog with worms using a step machine in the gym
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgeriderridgerider Posts: 2,813
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Oh and thread creation on a mobile is a pain, so I was waiting for someone else to crack.
    Threadsucker...
    Half man, Half bike...and now more familiar with the work of Prostate Cancer UK
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,544
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm willing to put rather a large amount of money on Contador's fans whinging about the difference in style between Froome and Contador when they were riding together. The contrast is rather stark, to be fair.
    One looks like a cartoon character pushing a trolley on slippery floor and the other looks like a dog with worms using a step machine in the gym

    Hat
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,459
    richa wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    ITV and the Cycling Podcast reporting rumours that Cannondale-Drapac may fold due to a sponsor pulling out.
    I'd expect a fair bit of interest in Woods if that was the case. I'd not heard much about him but he is do a good job marketing himself.

    He looks like perfect Sky material at the moment and they seem a bit light with the riders who are leaving but it might be better for his own career to go somewhere else.

    Edit: then again he's 31 so a decent 2 year deal as a domestique might me a good shout for him.
  • richaricha Posts: 2,020
    I see from CN that he is out of contract anyway. Agree that Sky are probably eyeing this form, as will be his manager!
  • hypster wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I don't think I'll ever warm to him but he has been aggressive all race. [...] I'd say if any riders are boring it's the ones who are letting him ride away at pretty much every opportunity.

    I agree, when Contador (et al) attacks it's exciting, when Froome does it, it's boring.

    These two points sum it up for me. Froome reminds me of my feelings towards Ed Sheerhan.

    I don't think I'll ever like what he does, but I respect that he does what he does very well.
    My Men 2020 - Mark Cavendish, Ben Swift, Fernando Gaviria, Alejandro Valverde, Edvald Boassen Hagen, Zdenek Stybar, Vincenzo Nibali, Geraint Thomas.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I've always been sceptical about the idea of motors in bikes, but the Trek rider who helped Contador get back to Froome definitely appears to have one.

    DIKtLPdXUAELWK-.jpg
    I hope this does not happen again. :roll:
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,289
    Delete wrong stage
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imatfaalimatfaal Posts: 2,716
    edited August 2017
    hypster wrote:
    What no Vuelta thread today on such a potentially decisive stage? ...

    I love watching cycling - but riding takes precedence; all day out on the bike Saturday (as it should be), Sunday a quick 100km before getting in the car for a family party , I should be able to get something done today (but I cannot start till I have ccaught up with yesterday's stage so feel free to do so)

    edit
    Apart from it being rest day today
  • lucan2lucan2 Posts: 293
    What the heck happened to Bertie on the road to Andorra? He looked his old self today.
    El Pistelero determined to go out with a bang but left a chamber empty.

    Maybe he's experimenting with dosages again. As he announces his retirement every year these days it doesn't really matter if he gets caught again and banned. He can say he was retiring anyway.

    And whilst I'm exploring theories, if he's retiring, maybe he won't be tested regularly as the authorities won't want another top-level drugs scandal to hit the headlines.
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,772
    lucan2 wrote:
    What the heck happened to Bertie on the road to Andorra? He looked his old self today.
    El Pistelero determined to go out with a bang but left a chamber empty.

    Maybe he's experimenting with dosages again. As he announces his retirement every year these days it doesn't really matter if he gets caught again and banned. He can say he was retiring anyway.

    And whilst I'm exploring theories, if he's retiring, maybe he won't be tested regularly as the authorities won't want another top-level drugs scandal to hit the headlines.

    Well they said it was the same stomach bug as Degenkolb.
Sign In or Register to comment.