Zwift and laptop bluetooth

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited September 2017 in Indoor training and turbo forum
Hi,

Just received my trainer and on my first test ride (in my dinning rooms) my laptop connected to my PC via BT no problems. Since then I have tried to connect via BT and nothing happens. My iphone works every time via BT :?

Any ideas why BT is not connecting to my laptop?

Do I need to buy an Ant + and usb extension? Seems strange that it worked first time.

Help.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If its a Windows PC, Zwift doesn't like Bluetooth. Works perfectly well with ANT+ though. Zwift works fine with Bluetooth via Apple devices. I can connect via Apple TV with Bluetooth or Windows with ANT+.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    If its a Windows PC, Zwift doesn't like Bluetooth. Works perfectly well with ANT+ though. Zwift works fine with Bluetooth via Apple devices. I can connect via Apple TV with Bluetooth or Windows with ANT+.

Yes it's a windows PC....sounds like ANT + is the way to go.
  • How old is your PC? You need Bluetooth 4.0 iirc.
  • How old is your PC? You need Bluetooth 4.0 iirc.

It's 2 or 3 years old. So I'm guessing should be ok, plus it worked the first time I logged on. After the first time it would not connect.

I had a look in the BT settings on the PC and in the settings option could see and connect. It just won't see or connect on Zwift.

As I day my phone, plus Garmin 1000 will connect so I'm putting down to a PC issue and looking at ANT + to resolve the issue.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Shane Miller had something on one of his blogs highlighting that Zwift doesn't like Bluetooth on a Windows PC. I think there's also something about it on the Zwift help forum.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • This has always been the case. Zwift doesn't talk to Bluetooth on a Windows PC at all - doesn't matter what type of bluetooth it is.

If you have a iPhone or Android phone you can use that as a 'bridge' to your PC via wifi and it can relay the bluetooth signal.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You can get an ant+ dongle pretty cheaply. I got one off amazon for around a tenner and it works fine...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    That was the anself one. Others a bit more expensive...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I have the same problems with a Mac laptop.
    I open up Zwift, login and when Zwift goes to pair the turbo trainer and HRM.... It crashes !!!! Every single time.

The only way I can get it to work is by turning bluetooth off and taking the Ant+ dongle out, then open Zwift. Only put the Ant+ dongle back in, leaving bluetooth off and re-pair the turbo and HRM.
    The only problem is I couldn't get my mobile phone to act as a remote?
    You can get an ant+ dongle pretty cheaply. I got one off amazon for around a tenner and it works fine...
    The Garmin Ant+ dongle (for running watches) is a rip off. I believe every Ant+ dongle works the same, same technology and protocol. The cheapest I found was a LifeLine USB and that still syncs my Garmin running watch to Garmin Express / Strava.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I bought one of these, Suunto Movestick, £20.00, and it works perfectly:

https://www.sweatband.com/suunto-movest ... gL_7vD_BwE