Winter MTB Waterproofs - which should I buy

McCagey
McCagey Posts: 8
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Every year I buy a new Winter MTB waterproof jacket and there is always something wrong with it. This year I am going to buy an Altura Mayhem (thanks to the advice of WideopenMag https://www.wideopenmountainbike.com/2017/08/great-mountain-bike-waterproof-jackets-under-100-quid unless anyone knows of anything better that I should be buying.

The only thing I know for sure is that I should not be allowed to make this decision on my own.

Comments

• I bought an Altura Attack 360 for about £100... it was terrible, didn't keep the rain out at all... flipping thing was leaking through the zips.

I had a Gore Goretex Alp x pro jacket which was great, until the hood zip broke off.

I suggest looking on EBay for Goretex jackets. These cheap knock offs will probably be as good as my Altura Attack 360.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I bought my son an Altura Mayhem last winter and it has been great. Good fit and has kept out some horrendous weather including a snow storm at Llandegla.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I just wear a paclite goretex jacket with layering underneath. Seems to do the job!
  • Try and find one with a hood that goes OVER the helmet: saves having to wear a helmet protector.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I've been using a Decathlon MTB waterproof similar to this one for several years. It's robust and very waterproof, with very useful pit zips for decent ventilation. The zip could be better as it's a bit rough - but it is waterproof. It's a really functional bit of kit.

If I want to keep my head dry I wear a waterproof cap under my lid.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bartimaeus wrote:

If I want to keep my head dry I wear a waterproof cap under my lid.

Did that with a Gore Goretex cap: it didn't keep the rain out of my hoodless jacket.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've found my Madison Roam very good considering they are circa £60. Seen me through the Kielder 24 hour race earlier in the year in some of the worst conditions imaginable.
  • i realize this may not be what you're looking for -- £££ -- but i received a Endura MT500 II jacket as a gift and i absolutely love it! long pit zips, helmet-ready hood, lots of great adjustables, thoroughly waterproof, not terribly heavy though a wee bit bulky when you roll it up for storage, wears like fairly tough fabric. i've got much cheaper/lesser rain jackets and they're all just gathering dust now.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Decathlon Forclaz 400,Had it since last year, been through some epic Scottish downpours and withstood it all,Same design as a lot of MTB specific jackets,Pit vents, taped seems, large hood, etc but at £60 its in a league of its own price wise,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I always find that waterproof jackets make feel like I'm wearing a bin liner and they aren't really breathable.

Are the much more expensive coats made by Gore bikewear etc any better?
  • swod1 wrote:

I would say yes, but i still can't justify the cost in my head.
    I have a hand-me-down from a friend and it is the best made jacket I have. Excellent for temperature control - I never get too hot and sweaty. But it's a 3 season jacket though - not made for mid-winter rides in the pouring rain.
    But it has been torn to bits by thorns and bushes - but then so would any jacket that I have. The trails that I ride, and my poor ability mean that I have lots of close encounters with the local flora.
    If I could afford to spend £200 on a Gore jacket, I would certainly do so.

I bought myself an Altura Mayhem last year in the sales - it keeps me warm and waterproof in the Winter.
    Too hot for anything else though.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    swod1 wrote:
    I always find that waterproof jackets make feel like I'm wearing a bin liner and they aren't really breathable.

They are and if you buy them in the sales the prices are not too bad. Got a light weight one half price for £60 and just got another recently for £120 reduced from £200, both brand new. Both are fine and easy to move around the bike when wearing. In heavy rain no jacket is breathable.