2 Men down

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited August 2017 in Commuting chat
Two men down on Cable Street CS3 - I had to call an ambulance; looked like at least one borked collar bone but both cyclists talking and awake, even if in lots of pain. I didn't see what happened but Old Bill and Ambulance were on the scene in minutes. Good Luck Tom and to the other Chap who was being looked after by another cyclist. And thanks to the driver who stopped with blankets for Tom who was still lying on the path

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any suggestion as to what had caused them to go down? bike on bike crash?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    The Rookie wrote:
    Any suggestion as to what had caused them to go down? bike on bike crash?

I think, and this is from reports given between teeth gritted with pain, that a van opened a door into one cyclist who then, in crashing, took out the other guy coming in the opposite direction. But I was out of sight when it happened.

I was astonished by the lack of help given (barring a handful of people); I saw the aftermath from 100yards or so and slowed the queue of bikes behind me, when I got there I realised that two guys were on the floor and only one was being attended to (as the two people who had stopped were with the other man) so I got off to help. Twenty cyclists must have squeezed past before I got there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    That's nasty, disappointing more people didn't help. No point in stopping once there are enough people there, but initially people should stop. I hope the van driver didn't drive off if he caused it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I passed by later on. Only saw the presumably lesser injured guy in the blue BATH cycling top standing up and being attended to by a paramedic.

It's manic along there now. I still use it in the mornings due to the fact it's just easier to get onto from Tower Bridge but have started heading back West via Commercial Road in the evenings. Very little bike traffic on there and a bus lane available most of the way although the Blackwall Tunnel and Aldgate junctions do present their own different set of challenges.
    FCN = 4
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I use CS3 and it is the most dangerous piece of cycling infrastructure in the capital! massive case for a flyover or a redesign of a path alongside the A1203 instead.
  • mtb-idle
    still, I'm sure all the newspapers will be reporting tomorrow on how a van driver MOWED DOWN THE HELPLESS CYCLIST and showed no remorse.

yeah right...
    FCN = 4
  • imatfaal
    On_What wrote:
    I use CS3 and it is the most dangerous piece of cycling infrastructure in the capital! massive case for a flyover or a redesign of a path alongside the A1203 instead.

Flyover alongside / hanging-off the railway track would be epic. But you are also right that it is a dangerous spot - there is not enough room for a two way track.

I had a serious dose of "there but for the grace of god go I" when I saw the accident - just before it came into view I had got annoyed with drafting numpties and sped up to a speed that was too risky for cs3; I had visions of being prosecuted like fixie-boy if I hit someone so eased off
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    I always take commercial road when the schools are out, its quicker and safer every time. Nice wide bus lane all the way from lime house to the City
  • BobMcbob wrote:
    I always take commercial road when the schools are out, its quicker and safer every time. Nice wide bus lane all the way from lime house to the City

I always found the Highway to be safer. It is obvious the lanes are too narrow to skim past so they only overtake when outside lane clear. Also not much traffic eastbound in the morning.
  • mtb-idle
    imatfaal wrote:

<snip> just before it came into view I had got annoyed with drafting numpties and sped up to a speed that was too risky for cs3; I had visions of being prosecuted like fixie-boy if I hit someone so eased off

Yeah, a few months back I was following someone who was down on the TT bars on that same section of CS3 heading East in the morning rush hour. I was like, "Whoa! really?"

Made sure I gave him plenty of space.
    FCN = 4