Cyclesheme bought best ~£1000 hardtail...

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Ok guys, just need this bike mainly for trails with the kids, maybe a bit of basic downhill...got a £1000 voucher and was going to get a 2017 rockhopper pro for £775...but seen the new one is only £950 now and some money back at evans on clothes...

Which would you get? Seems worth going for latest model?

Any other choices?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One presumes you don't mean Downhill at all? (Riding down hills is not riding Downhill).

Usually best to steer clear of big name brands at this price point, Halfords, Decathlon, Evans ow brand or Go Outdoors usually offer best value for money. I'll have a look later at the options and give more detailed suggestions but will probably be beaten to it). You won't get Halfords on cyclescheme though as they exclusively use their own scheme.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrishumes
    Yes mate, not downhill...just some routes like at whinlatter etc. Any advice welcome...i assumes the rockhopper was a decent bike?
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Decent, well yes, but compared to the less trendy competition, the big names usually cut a corner or two on componentry, usually the forks at that price point, and rely on people buying on brand reputation.
  • chrishumes
    Cheers. The bike shop have said that the 2018 pro is a lesser spec than the 2017, so i think i will go for it