Tokens

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Fork: Fox Rhythm 34
Shock: Fox Float Performance evol

My issue:
Fork & shock feeling harsh over rough stuff. Had bit of mare so far getting suspension setup as I would like it. I've had it too soft which felt great until bottoming it out and now have it at correct sag levels and it doesn't bottom but it feels too harsh over rough stuff to me. And also even on relatively tame parts of trail I just don't seem to role as fast as mates in front and lines are same, my tyres role faster. My bike seems to be shaking too much and not taking bumps as well as should. I know they're budget end girl and shock but just think they should be performing better?!

I'm thinking about adding a token or two and reducing air pressure a little. Question is will this give me more small bump compliance? Will my sag still be the same? Anything else that might happen?

I think my rebound is setup okay. Or could that be causing the above issues? There's no HSC/LSC adjustments.

Many thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, with tokens in you'll have a lower static pressure, but at the ridden position it will be at the same pressure (pressure times area = force and that force has to hold you are your bike weight up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, with tokens in you'll have a lower static pressure, but at the ridden position it will be at the same pressure (pressure times area = force and that force has to hold you are your bike weight up.

:shock: and does that help the issue or not. :?:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but not massively, the biggest benefit of tokens is the spring progression means you can take off some compression damping (if it's adjustable) which makes the biggest difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    I'll throw three in tomorrow and drop psi by 30 and see where I am...