Castelli bib short sizing

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I've worn Castelli bibs for a few years now and always bought Velocissimo's, which are in the 'lower' half (relatively speaking) of the range with the Kiss Air pad and size L is perfect for me.

I've just bought a pair of Endurance X2s (also size L) which are from the higher range with the Progetto X2 pad. The bottom half (shorts section) is fine but the top bib section seems fairly tight on my shoulders. I certainly don't recall the cheaper ones being so when they were new.

Anyone have any experience of both and how do you find sizes between the two. I can obviously just return the new ones for an XL but with the bottom half fitting perfectly I don't really want to if the mesh stretches a bit with use.

Cheers
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    i find the 'race cut' bibs and jerseys feel right on the bike. try in that position rather than standing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    i find the 'race cut' bibs and jerseys feel right on the bike. try in that position rather than standing

Yes, it is a bit better when bending in a riding position, but still tighter across shoulders than my other pairs. Think I'll try them out - of course I can't return them after that but CRC don't have the XL any longer in any case. I imagine they will 'give' with use.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've worn Castelli bibs for a few years now and always bought Velocissimo's, which are in the 'lower' half (relatively speaking) of the range with the Kiss Air pad and size L is perfect for me.

I've just bought a pair of Endurance X2s (also size L) which are from the higher range with the Progetto X2 pad. The bottom half (shorts section) is fine but the top bib section seems fairly tight on my shoulders. I certainly don't recall the cheaper ones being so when they were new.

Anyone have any experience of both and how do you find sizes between the two. I can obviously just return the new ones for an XL but with the bottom half fitting perfectly I don't really want to if the mesh stretches a bit with use.

Cheers

As per others, the upper range bibs seem to have tighter straps, but should be fine in the riding position. Like you I've had a few pairs of Velocissimo bibs and have got on well with them. However, I've just taken a pair down from hanging to dry and have noticed a "rub spot" in the lycra just above the pad at the back. Previous Velocissimo's have done the same albeit in different locations (both hips), where the lycra noticeably thins. I've taken good care of them, only washing as per instructions and in a "delicates bag", so pretty annoyed theyve only lasted a year. Need replacing but unsure whether to go up in the range, given the relatively short life of these...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:

Cheers

As per others, the upper range bibs seem to have tighter straps, but should be fine in the riding position. Like you I've had a few pairs of Velocissimo bibs and have got on well with them. However, I've just taken a pair down from hanging to dry and have noticed a "rub spot" in the lycra just above the pad at the back. Previous Velocissimo's have done the same albeit in different locations (both hips), where the lycra noticeably thins. I've taken good care of them, only washing as per instructions and in a "delicates bag", so pretty annoyed theyve only lasted a year. Need replacing but unsure whether to go up in the range, given the relatively short life of these...

Yeah, my first pair of Velocissimos have a couple of wear marks as you describe and some stitching has worn away but they still look good. To be fair they are a couple of years old and I do A LOT of cycling! The Endurance definitely have a slightly thicker lycra as well as the better pad, so hopefully they last a few years
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10