superstar pave 28 ultra wheels? hubs?

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello everybody and thank you for the input so far.
Came across that

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... t-2024.htm

WhatWhatd you say about them? Any experience?

Also how many holes in rim (rear/from) should it have for a rider approx 70-75 kilogrammes heavy?

Thanks

Comments

• Cheep
    20/24 spooks
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • denispearl
    Cheep
    20/24 spooks

Thanks , wont get that then.

BR
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    No problem for me over the past 1500 miles @ 77Kg
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • denispearl
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    No problem for me over the past 1500 miles @ 77Kg
    Nice wheels then?
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    I've had no problems at all with the wheels, still nice and true, no spoke failures, very nice bearings and they are pretty light for the price.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • fac83ajc
    fac83ajc Posts: 19
    Hi

I have a pair of Superstar Components Elite 30 rims (in gold!) on their Icon hubs. 20/24 spoke.

I am around 75kg and have done over 3000 miles on these without them needing truing at all, still nice and straight. They roll well and are pretty lightweight (1500g or so). I've used them through 2 winters (Scotland!) and the front bearings have now given up, which I don't think is too bad. The front rim has worn significantly so I reckon new bearings and I will get one more winter out of them, before they become turbo trainer wheels.

I got mine for £100 so total bargain. If you were going to use them in fairer weather you would get a lot more out of them as well.

In general I would recommend them.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have the same as Fac83ajc but in white, about the same distance an im 84kg, one spoke went ping, cant complain an I hop speed bumps on a regular basis.
  • I have similar wheels as fac83ajc and I fully recommend Superstar equipment. They cost around £140 and are great - quick to spin up, light and still true after 1 full season of use. The Superstar wheels I have are were all going for silly money. They are £150 Arc22 Ultrawide Wheelset- ARC22 Black Rims & ICON ULTRA Black Hubs 20/24; £140 Zeal Pave28 RaceBuild & Zeal Freehub; and lastly £80 Elite 24 Gold Rim Black Hub & Icon Ultra Freehub. 20/24 - these are close to fac83ajc ones.

For the money and even at full price they are great wheels in my opinion. My other wheels are 2 hand built by Harry Rowland (Durace & Ultegra hubs with Ambrosio Excellight rims) and some very nice RS80 wheels.

Regards, Harry
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    For the OP: Same as a couple of other users above. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

For the other guys: COME ON FFS, stop telling people about how good the wheels are!!

Seriously though, yes i have a pair picked of Icon Ultra 30s last January and have been on my bike since, all weather and have raced with them. 1558g for the pair, £100 because they were red. Still running true and well balanced (yes i agree that bike wheels should be balanced as well as trued)

Am looking forward to New Year as that's when they have good offers on.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Cheep
    20/24 spooks

Any context? Problems with a pair?
  • I've got a pair of Superstar Elite 38s on their Icon hubs. I've had them for a couple of years and I've had no problems. I sometimes think that some of the spokes are a bit low in tension - the wheels sometimes ping a bit when I'm out of the saddle but they're still running true so who knows. They're fine anyway.

Edit: I'm 75kg and they are 20 front / 24 rear hole rims.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    There was a long thread on here a while ago about Superstar wheels and quality, it got a bit ridiculous to say the least.
    To summarise the wheels are machine built rather than hand built. The machine only measures torque applied to the nipple rather than spoke tension. So, if one thread has a little more resistance that spoke can have lower tension. But, they have free truing if you can be bothered to return them. The other thing is that they are a good price, often the set of wheels is cheaper than you can buy the components elsewhere. So, even if you do end up with a bad set you could still have them trued locally and be up on the deal.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    The machine only measures torque applied to the nipple rather than spoke tension. So, if one thread has a little more resistance that spoke can have lower tension.
    That's interesting; it explains the weird spoke tension on mine.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The machine only measures torque applied to the nipple rather than spoke tension. So, if one thread has a little more resistance that spoke can have lower tension.
    That's interesting; it explains the weird spoke tension on mine.
    Exactly. Get them re-trued by tension and they should be even better.