Fulcrum Red Wind 50 xlr cult v Prime RP-50

jonnyc1973
jonnyc1973 Posts: 45
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking at these two options for upgrade.

I can source for similar price so that is not an issue. Will be used mainly for triathlon /ironman and maybe some sportives. Any thoughts on which may be the best choice? Anyone have either?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Modern rim design is going wider.
    The fulcrums look old school and narrow at 20.5mm compared to the Prime's 25mm width.

I'd go for the Prime from these 2.
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else got any feedback?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    Red Winds are alloy with a fairing, Primes are full carbon. So Primes are substantially lighter - to the tune of about 200g.
    On the flip side, you will probably get better braking with the Fulcrums, particularly in the wet.
    I would definitely go with the Primes myself.
  • Thanks for that. The quoted weights are actually pretty similar at just over 1500. Real weights may be different.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Friend has 50mm Prime's. They are fine in the dry but he turned white the first time he braked on a downhill section in the wet.

Get deep section carbon for the triathlon events you mention, and for the looks (I've got some), but in terms of practicalities (the wet weather I mentioned), and as near as dam it very little performance loss. I'd get shallow, tubeless alloys — the exalith coated ones being particularly aesthetically pleasing to the eye imo.
  • brit66 wrote:
    Friend has 50mm Prime's. They are fine in the dry but he turned white the first time he braked on a downhill section in the wet.

Get deep section carbon for the triathlon events you mention, and for the looks (I've got some), but in terms of practicalities (the wet weather I mentioned), and as near as dam it very little performance loss. I'd get shallow, tubeless alloys — the exalith coated ones being particularly aesthetically pleasing to the eye imo.

Are they that bad? Reviews seem ok. Has he got used to them?
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Are they that bad...
    No, they seem very nice. True, strong (he's hit some big potholes), and good braking in the dry. Just poor stopping in the wet.

So, if you buy them for competing you'll need to be careful if it rains - based on his experiences anyway.