Bianchi Super Pista - build advice

ashtons99
ashtons99 Posts: 110
edited September 2017 in Track
I'm about to embark on building one of these frame sets for road use with no intention of track riding. I'm fairly competent mechanically but I've never actually built my own bike.

My main concerns are around the drive part of the bike, crankset selection, crank arm length, bottom bracket sizing, rear sprocket and chain. The wheels, brake and finishing kit I'm ok with.

I'm inclined towards a SRAM Omnium crankset but I've little idea on it other than that. I want to make sure all the bits are compatible, clearances and chain line is correct but where do I go to find the info I need to get it right.

Any advice on build spec or information would be appreciated. I don't want to have to resort to bike shop services as I want the satisfaction of doing it all myself but want yo do it right.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to offer advice on build spec without knowing what kind of budget you are working to. However, there's little point in buying high quality track kit if you are only going to be riding on the road.

Providing you are using a track specific crankset and related BB (such as the SRAM Omnium mentioned - plenty of others out there too), together with a 120mm track hub, then things like chain line should not be an issue.

Crank arm length again is a personal choice, but if you are planning on running fixed on the road, then I would be inclined stick with 165 if only for clearance issues.
  • ashtons99
    Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to spend a few quid for a nice build especially as the frame cost me £500 by the time I'd done with shipping from states
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pictures please!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ashtons99 wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to spend a few quid for a nice build especially as the frame cost me £500 by the time I'd done with shipping from states

Are you absolutely certain it has a drilled front fork for a brake?

The shop in the states should advise you on the correct length BB for crank arm clearance, different hubs and sprockets can alter chain line but for road it shouldnt be crucial.
    surely for a Bianchi pista you need to thinking euro components, not SRAM :oops:
  • ashtons99
    Definitely drilled fork and has English threaded BB
  • English on Cinelli?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    English on Cinelli?

Good job it's not a Cinelli then...
  • Exactly.

English on a Bianchi as well? Limey blimey piccante salami.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.