Speedplay pedals and ankle injuries

gmkleuser
gmkleuser Posts: 25
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

This subject may have been previously addressed but I was unable to find a post about it. Sorry if this is redundant so here it goes.

Bike crash about 6 weeks ago. I had a Bimalleolar fracture (basically broke both ankle bone) with displacement and thus had to get cut open and have two long screws installed on the inner bone and a plate with 5 smaller screws on the outer bone. On the bright side a titanium bike is out of my reach but I can now at least say I have some titanium components :? . Got the cast off a few days ago and can barely move it and doc says it is highly likely that I will have lost a good deal of flexibility in that ankle even after full recovery.

Brings me to my question: Before the wreck I was thinking about new pedals. I currently run Look Keo red (4° float). My bike setup is fairly agressive despite the fact that I am not particularly flexible and I have never had any real issues. However, I think recent events will change the game and I have heard that a lot of folks with knee problems and tri guys like the Speedplays as they are a little more forgiving in terms of taking injuries, lack of flexibility and imbalances into account (at least that is what I understand).

So anyone got any input of Speedplay as far as injuries or limited mobility is concerned? Would my predicament be applicable to making the switch?

Thanks again, team
Sportingly,
George

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    I use speedplays, before and after I acquired the metalwork in the avatar. 6 years ago now.

Firstly, get well soon. Do physio and stretching. Its hell, truly, but once scar tissue forms that that, so now is your window of opportunity to maximise mobility.

Secondly, only when you are back on the bike will you find out what suits you. Speedplays have free float, but this might not be relevant. In some ways they might be worse. It depends on your ankle stability.

Thirdly, you don't use your ankle that much cycling. You'd have to have really restricted mobility to notice. Even people with fused ankles can cycle just fine.

Finally, at least with the x-series I use, the release angle is quite high compared to other pedal systems. This might be the show stopper, depending on how the motion is restricted. I have most damage on the inside of my ankle, which makes it hard to kick my heel out. I can only just clip in and out with my range of motion (about 60% in that direction), particularly with new cleats. The light action pedals might be better (which is what happens with worn cleats anyway!), as might the Zeros' adjustable float.

My overall advice is fix yourself first, then stick to what's familiar to begin with and take it from there.
  • Thanks for the reply and encouragement. Yikes, your metal work is even gnarlier than mine.

I think you are right about waiting and seeing, I suppose I am jumping the gun a little worrying about pedals at this stage of the game. After thinking about it I feel like a decent home trainer is a better purchase for me as getting back on the bike without the risk of falling and being able to rehab the ankle from the comfort of home. It will also let me try out my current pedals and bike set up in a controlled environment.

If you don't mind I might hit you up the pm to pick your brain about recovery from this injury.

Cheers!
  • First.Aspect
    gmkleuser wrote:
    Thanks for the reply and encouragement. Yikes, your metal work is even gnarlier than mine.

I think you are right about waiting and seeing, I suppose I am jumping the gun a little worrying about pedals at this stage of the game. After thinking about it I feel like a decent home trainer is a better purchase for me as getting back on the bike without the risk of falling and being able to rehab the ankle from the comfort of home. It will also let me try out my current pedals and bike set up in a controlled environment.

If you don't mind I might hit you up the pm to pick your brain about recovery from this injury.

Cheers!
    Every injury is different, but happy to help if I can. Main thing is that I'm pretty sure mine was worse (8% chance of amputation, 26% chance of immediate fusion) but I'm still doing 5-6k miles a year and on the bike 5-6 days a week so anything is possible.
  • First.Aspect
    gmkleuser wrote:
    Thanks for the reply and encouragement. Yikes, your metal work is even gnarlier than mine.

Cheers!
    Every injury is different, but happy to help if I can. Main thing is that I'm pretty sure mine was worse (8% chance of amputation, 26% chance of immediate fusion) but I'm still doing 5-6k miles a year and on the bike 5-6 days a week so anything is possible.