Why do my lights keep failing?

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited August 2017 in Road general
I have a history of lights failing and it is starting to niggle.

A fe years back I bought a 400 lumen Lezyne Macro Drive ( I think ) front light for £50. Within a year it had totaly failed, and I managed to get it replaced under warranty, only just though. Then the light that was replaced under warranty had some sort of "ulterior personality failure" 6 months on, whereby the 5 different modes as well as the indicator LED all changed. 3 modes vanished completely, leaving me with only 2 options, and the indicator light turned a blue colour that I had never seen before, and that had never appeared on either of the lights at any time. Some sort of circuit failure I guess. It stayed like that ever since.

Now I bought a Moon Nebula rear light in Spring, have not really used much at all, and after I have gone to charge it for the 3rd time, it is totally dead. It won't work at all. I got it to light up after loads of messing about whilst it was linked up to charge, but that was it, and now it is defunct.

Are lights just made cheaply these days with no real quality to them?

Comments

• are you 'over charging' them? By that I mean run the battery down to maybe 10-20% of its out put (mostly) and then recharge it? Do not leave it on a recharge for hours on end as this can fry the freakin' thing?!

Maybe its jus bad luck?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Are they USB charged and are you using a reputable brand of charger? Cheap Chinese chargers will fry things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Dizeee wrote:
    Then the light that was replaced under warranty had some sort of "ulterior personality failure" 6 months on, whereby the 5 different modes as well as the indicator LED all changed. 3 modes vanished completely, leaving me with only 2 options, and the indicator light turned a blue colour that I had never seen before, and that had never appeared on either of the lights at any time. Some sort of circuit failure I guess. It stayed like that ever since.

Are lights just made cheaply these days with no real quality to them?

No, you put it in race mode. IIRC you hold the power button for a while to return it to normal.