tour of britain photography advise

winter_zombie
winter_zombie Posts: 291
edited August 2017 in MTB general
Hi all

im in need of your help,the tour of britain has a starting event in my local town
and i plan on going and trying to get some pictures.

have any of you been before ? can you advise me on what to expect or best places to stand

any advise really as ive not been to anything like this before

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Start is very good as you can get close to the riders before the race.

Once they start riding - a steep hill slows them down and makes it easier to take pics I think.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    Hi all

im in need of your help,the tour of britain has a starting event in my local town
    and i plan on going and trying to get some pictures.

have any of you been before ? can you advise me on what to expect or best places to stand

any advise really as ive not been to anything like this before

I haven't been to a start, but generally the riders come through quickly in a bunch (or bunches) so you'll have to be quick.

When they came through here, I waited at quite a big wide crossroads. There was a fairly decent sized crowd (the local primary schools all came out to watch and cheer too) so I ended up standing on a bin to get some photos.
    I've been at a finish before too and the riders came through so fast that I didn't get many good photos. The crowds were ridiculous too.

The only tips I have are:
    • Make sure you're there in good time
    • Make sure your camera is charged up
    • Make sure you have a big enough memory card
    • Consider using 2 cameras, one taking photos and the other a video (I held my phone next to my camera to do the video)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try and get a spot on or just after a tight bend. The riders slow down and you can get some good action shots.
    I got some good shots a couple of years ago just after a 90degree right hander followed almost immediately by a 90degree left hander.
    Don't spend too long taking photos though as you won't actually see the race if you do.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • thanks guys, likw i said i will be at the start of the race because stage 4 starts this year in my town.

do any of you know what time the races start at ???

also how early should i be their in advance of it starting to get a good photo shooting spot ?

thanks again :)
  • You didn't try googling very hard did you .....

All start times and details are in the Race manual http://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/to ... al_web.pdf on the website
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a camera with burst function, use that, start it early and keep it going, you'll only get a few seconds.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The start of a stage is not particularly good for action shots as the peleton tend to roll out quite slowly. Good for close ups of the riders though.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • You didn't try googling very hard did you .....

All start times and details are in the Race manual http://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/to ... al_web.pdf on the website
    yes i did google, thank you..

i was asking on here for advise on taking pictures and what to expect.. because like i said before ive not been to a event like this before.. but thanks for taking the time to reply.. lol