chain cleaner on ebike

Jetsetsian
Jetsetsian Posts: 3
edited November 2018 in MTB general
HI All
Wondering if anyone has solved this, or found a tool that you can hold the right way round?

Got a Trek E- MTB , and borrowed a chain cleaner tool which you put round the chain and use a degreaser fluid, but that tool and all the others I can find, ask you to back pedal to use the cleaner ( to be able to use its handle to hold it safely.) However E-Bikes like the Trek with the Bosch crank Motor don't move the chain when you back pedal so obviously the chain wont move through the cleaning tool.

One thought is to buy a dummy hub, remove the wheel (easy) and then hold the tool from the other side of the bike as as I pedal forwards, then the chain will pass through the cleaner the right way - any other ideas ?

Cheers
Ian

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Take the chain off and clean it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Put the back wheel on a roller / turbo trainer / motorbike paddock stand and use it forwards?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a mate to lift the back wheel off the ground as you turn the cranks forwards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah you just need the wheel off the ground and pedal froward.
  • Thanks for the replies. I of course know that I can pedal forward, but the problem is that all the chain cleaners I've seen are configured so that you pedal backwards. With either bits that attach, rest on the derailer, or have handles on only one side. I like the idea of the stand as that would Aalto be of use any way, but the cleaners are still a problem. Maybe someone will come up with a reversible one?

Thanks all.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    And this is why I'm never going to get an ebike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Depends on the cleaning device, mine doesn't like the chain being run through the wrong way, it gets snagged up, maybe some are more tolerant than others.

You could just clean it in situ the old fashioned way with rags and white spirit or something, then just re lube when it's clean and dry.

I think I'd simply wipe it down and add more lube, and just run it till it needs replacing.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Two toothbrushes lashed together and dipped in cleaner. Doesn't matter which way you pedal then. Top bodge of the week, works a treat.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I've not found a tool, but I have found a way to use my "chain-pig" cleaner. It seems none of the other responders here "get" the problem. The chain clean tools (Park Tool or Chain-Pig) are designed to work by rotating the chain backwards, and on my Turbo Vado 2.0 that's just not on.

But if I have the bike on the work stand, I can reverse the chain-pig, 'clamp' it to the chain as it goes on-to the chain-ring (not coming of the the bottom) and then get the right cleaning action/direction by rotating peddle forward.

It's a tight space, and it's messy 'cause you have hold the pig in place, but it kinda works.

Not sure I have explained myself well...

I am still trying to imagine how I could modify the chain-pig, but no aha! moment yet.

Please do share if you find a better solution. I'd have thought someone would be on the market with one by now.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Or a rag dipped in degreaser and just run it through there. Simple and effective.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This is from the KMC site on how to clean your chain, as far as I can remember they are the worlds biggest chain maker.

"Try to avoid a so-called ‘chain washing machine’ in combination with solvent. This will instantly ruin your chain."

So there is nothing to invent or a solution as it's so simple to clean a chain the same way people have been doing it for ages.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Turn the bike upside down?
  • chain-pig.JPG

Wrap fingers around seat stay and hold the pigs tail-hook while pedaling forward.
  • There is a muck-off thing - it’s an aerosol can of chain cleaner with a mini chain cleaner on top. I don’t think it’s chain directional - maybe try that with the back wheel off the ground and pedalling forward?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I never clean chains except when hosing the bike. Just used wax based lube (Squirt) and never get any build up of gunk. The waxy layer just peels away with any gunk attached, relube, job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • afternoon,

if you have a bike stand, maybe drive the wheel manually backwards?.. ( I'm thinking after a few beers ).

with the bike in a stand, will the ebike allow you to rotate the rear wheel backwards?..