Replacement for a Lezyne GPS.

SME
SME Posts: 348
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I have an Lezyne Enhanced Super GPS which does all I want of it - no complaints about it's features or functionality. But, unfortunately, I'm getting to an age where in certain light conditions it's easier to read some text with reading specs (urgh1).

The display on the Lezyne is quite 'blocky' so some of the smaller headers are difficult to read at times - the actual figures are fine, but I only have a maximum of 4 metrics on a page anyway, so it's not too squashed up.

I have been considering an Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt, both seem to have crisp displays similar to my Kindle (with which I have no problem) and offer similar features to the Lezyne. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a cycle shop that stocks them so cannot make any visual comparisons.

I guess it really boils down to.. the Elemnt that looks a bit chunkier, or the Bolt that looks the part, can be fixed/locked on (nice feature), but is a tad smaller?

Any ideas/comments?

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    The elemnt really doesn't look that big on the bike and if screen clarity is high on your list of priorities you can't go wrong. I'd like a bolt for the TT bike but can't really see what benefit the bolt would be other than slightly more aero and a bit cheaper.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Thanks noodleman.

I did once consider a Garmin 820 but was put off by the touch screen, and I don't quite understand about having to load maps for areas you may cycle in, so didn't consider a 520 either. But the Wahoo Elemnt is bigger than an 820 in a video I saw... Shane Miller does a comparison on Youtube in Perth I think.

I've done some Googling since posting and found this...

Super_GPS_vs_Bolt.jpg

You can see the Lezyne gives the Andriod's battery voltage, and the GPS's voltage in the top right, but neither are very clear - the Bolt's display seems so much crisper, hence my original enquiry.

I think really I'll just have to try one and see.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm long sighted and besides the woeful performance of the 820, found the screen size difficult to read. I changed to a Wahoo Elemnt and no longer have problems. It isn't brick sized or Garmin 1000 sized for that matter. Battery life for the phone and device can be set on one of the pages so no need to squint anymore. The Elemnt Bolt is the same screen size as the 820, which is why I didn't bother with it. The Elemnt has additional LEDs to the Bolt too and performs the exactly the same functions.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.