Boardman Team Carbon - Max tyre width?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
Im considering whether I should buy a second Summer bike for next year or upgrade my Boardman Team Carbon road bike.

Main reason, apart from me retiring at the end of the year and wanting a new bike, is I bought the BM through the Cycle2Work scheme and fancy something a little better to use as my Main Summer bike next year.

Ive just read Cycling weekly and they rate the frame as a 10 being very good for the money and worthy of upgrading a few parts mainly the wheels and brakes. So it got me thinking about upgrading the wheels but fitting something a little wider tyre wise for winter. That way I can use the BM as a winter bike and consider the Summer bike more seriously next year.
I already use Crud road racer MK3 mudguards in winter on the BM but I had to doctor the front one as it caught the spokes and they are fairly tight overall.

Has anyone fitted any wider tyres to the BM Team Carbon as they currently have Conti GP 4000Sii 25 fitted and if its not possible to fit wider then I may have to have a rethink....

Regards.

Tony.

Comments

• How bizarre, referring to a Boardman bike as a 'BM'

Anyway, can't you get a tape measure and see how much room there is between the chainstays
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Not many bikes on sale today don't accept 25 tyres as a bare minimum. Of those that are likely to be tight they are usually going to be aero framesets. The Boardman Team should accept pretty wide tyres and 28's should fit quite comfortably
  • tonysj
    How bizarre, referring to a Boardman bike as a 'BM'

Give us a break!!! straight forward question......

Anyway, can't you get a tape measure and see how much room there is between the chainstays

Theres likely to be no error if a member has fitted tryes that work without catching etc. easy and definite way of making sure thats all..

Regards.

T
  • tonysj
    I'm back on with considering IF Continental Grand Prix 4000 2ii in a 28mm would fit my Boardman Team Carbon. By just checking by eye sight only they do look like there is clearance for a bigger tyre ( Schwalbe pro ones in 25mm (( 26mm )) currently fitted ) but I would like to know from a Boardman owner who has 28mm fitted or has tried this sized tyre.
    I understand they come up at 31mm on a 17mm rim..

Regards.

Tony.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    Everybody wants conti gp28s . Myself included . I’ve yet to take a chance on them as I’m 50/50 if they will fit height wise moreso on my Merckx bike . Compromised on the 25s which measure up close to 28.
    On my caad 12 I have 28 Schwalbe ones . Might be a consideration also . They are not the 31mm the GPs will measure up .
    It would be great if the local bike shop could try to fit them for ya with the proviso you’re will take them if they fit .
  • tonysj
    Everybody wants conti gp28s . Myself included . I’ve yet to take a chance on them as I’m 50/50 if they will fit height wise moreso on my Merckx bike . Compromised on the 25s which measure up close to 28.
    On my caad 12 I have 28 Schwalbe ones . Might be a consideration also . They are not the 31mm the GPs will measure up .
    It would be great if the local bike shop could try to fit them for ya with the proviso you’re will take them if they fit .

Yes I've measured the clearance and it looks just enough but risky if they rub under load like out of the saddle up hills.
    I may have to buy them and just fit and see if they are ok. I can get them for a good price so shouldn't loose out if I have to sell them on.
    Pity no one on here has a Team Carbon and has tried :(
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you had a wider rim on your wheel the tyre wouldn't be so tall ? Any use ?