bottom bracket

Pendragon246
Pendragon246 Posts: 3
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Im trying to replace the bottom Bracket on a diamondback MTB with a internal thread Bottom Bracket. the non drive side cup has come off fine with a 20 tooth socket, but the drive side is different. Its got 16 teeth, with a gap at the top and bottom, 2 teeth width each. I assumed the 20 tooth socket would fit but no, its slightly out. Anybody experienced the same thing? is there a different tool for the job? or do I need to fettle the teeth?
Its quite an old bike

Comments

• Sounds utterly bizarre that the 2 cups on the same BB would require different removal tools. Is this the original BB from new or had it been replaced previously?
  • Nope, original (I assume), it looked like it too when I finally got it off, no brand or number at all. So :idea: I used a dremmell and ground the teeth a fraction wider (just 1/2 mm or so). the 20 tooth shimano tool fit with a bit of gentle persuasion from a mallet. The BB seemed fine though so I greased it all up and put it back - no creak! Result! :o
  • Nope, original (I assume), it looked like it too when I finally got it off, no brand or number at all. So :idea: I used a dremmell and ground the teeth a fraction wider (just 1/2 mm or so). the 20 tooth shimano tool fit with a bit of gentle persuasion from a mallet. The BB seemed fine though so I greased it all up and put it back - no creak! Result! :o

Maybe just a defect in the manufacturing. Glad you got it sorted in the end